Background: In 1951, the Nepalese monarch ended the century-old system of rule by hereditary premiers and instituted a cabinet system of government. Reforms in 1990 established a multiparty democracy within the framework of a constitutional monarchy. A Maoist insurgency, launched in 1996, has gained traction and is threatening to bring down the regime, especially after a negotiated cease-fire between the Maoists and government forces broke down in August 2003. In 2001, the crown prince massacred ten members of the royal family, including the king and queen, and then took his own life. In October 2002, the new king dismissed the prime minister and his cabinet for "incompetence" after they dissolved the parliament and were subsequently unable to hold elections because of the ongoing insurgency. While stopping short of reestablishing parliament, the king in June 2004 reinstated the most recently elected prime minister who formed a four-party coalition government, which the king subsequently tasked with paving the way for elections to be held in spring of 2005. Citing dissatisfaction with the government's lack of progress in addressing the Maoist insurgency, the king in February 2005 dissolved the government and assumed power.
Photos from Gorepani
Blogs from Gorepani
Latest Blogs from Gorepani
- June 26th 2013 Trekking the Annapurna Mountains — The Race is On! — Day 2 Out on the Himalayan Trail to Poon Hill: Ulleri to Ghorepani
by Words: 1157 Photos: 30
- April 18th 2013 The Himalayas - Pokhara to Poon Hill
by Words: 118 Photos: 11
- November 30th 2012 Misery, suffering and beauty
by Words: 569 Photos: 4
- April 4th 2012 Day 3 Gorepani Poon Hill Trek - Ghandruk
by Words: 640 Photos: 44
- April 3rd 2012 Day 2 Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek - Next Stop Ghorepani
by Words: 416 Photos: 51
- March 19th 2012 Just a Spot of Hiking in the Himalayas, Darling!
by Words: 3642 Photos: 89
- October 28th 2011 Tihar in The Himalaya
by Words: 1168 Photos: 20
- March 19th 2010 Himalaya (Annapurna) Trek
by Words: 3901 Photos: 23
- July 30th 2008 Last Few Days in Nepal
by Words: 833 Photos: 35
- March 31st 2008 Steady as she goes!
by Words: 1341 Photos: 38
- March 31st 2008 Poon Hill at sunrise - WOW!
by Words: 472 Photos: 47
- February 23rd 2008 Top of the World... Sort of
by Words: 2106 Photos: 8
- May 12th 2007 Day 5: Ghorepani - Hile (via Poon Hill)
by Words: 234 Photos: 7
- May 3rd 2007 Tikhedunga - Ghorepani
by Words: 352 Photos: 0
- November 15th 2006 Tikhadunga to Gorepani,
by Words: 528 Photos: 9
- September 23rd 2006 "Some dance to remember"
by Words: 865 Photos: 0
- March 11th 2006 Back to Civilization
by Words: 1204 Photos: 14
- October 12th 2002 Gorepani
by Words: 698 Photos: 0