Background: In 1603, a Tokugawa shogunate (military dictatorship) ushered in a long period of isolation from foreign influence in order to secure its power. For 250 years this policy enabled Japan to enjoy stability and a flowering of its indigenous culture. Following the Treaty of Kanagawa with the United States in 1854, Japan opened its ports and began to intensively modernize and industrialize. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Japan became a regional power that was able to defeat the forces of both China and Russia. It occupied Korea, Formosa (Taiwan), and southern Sakhalin Island. In 1933 Japan occupied Manchuria and in 1937 it launched a full-scale invasion of China. Japan attacked US forces in 1941 - triggering America's entry into World War II - and soon occupied much of East and Southeast Asia. After its defeat in World War II, Japan recovered to become an economic power and a staunch ally of the US. While the emperor retains his throne as a symbol of national unity, actual power rests in networks of powerful politicians, bureaucrats, and business executives. The economy experienced a major slowdown starting in the 1990s following three decades of unprecedented growth, but Japan still remains a major economic power, both in Asia and globally. In 2005, Japan began a two-year term as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council.
Photos from Oita
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Oita
Latest Blogs from Oita
- November 23rd 2012 Volcanos, futons and Onsens
by Words: 1614 Photos: 15
- May 1st 2012 There's something stinky in Beppu..
by Words: 716 Photos: 22
- March 24th 2012 steam city
by Words: 464 Photos: 8
- March 23rd 2012 onsen town or desert town...
by Words: 451 Photos: 4
- November 23rd 2011 Kaiseki = The Best Meal I've ever Eaten
by Words: 572 Photos: 7
- October 23rd 2011 Grad School in Beppu, Oita
by Words: 665 Photos: 15
- April 14th 2011 Dag 7-8: Aso-Beppu
by Words: 1341 Photos: 4
- March 29th 2011 Photo Collection 17: Mt. Aso - Yufuin in the Fall & Winter
by Words: 59 Photos: 8
- March 24th 2011 Photo Collection 16: Yufuin - Hot Spring Resort
by Words: 82 Photos: 5
- June 19th 2010 Yunohira Onsen Town (湯平温泉)
by Words: 144 Photos: 1
- April 4th 2010 Onsen mecca
by Words: 630 Photos: 0
- September 23rd 2009 Achee, aachee, acheeeee!
by Words: 434 Photos: 11
- April 16th 2009 Beppu
by Words: 582 Photos: 0
- February 25th 2009 Episode #3 Feb. 18th, the third day in Beppu
by Words: 593 Photos: 18
- February 23rd 2009 Episode #2 Feb. 17th, Second day in Yufuin village and Beppu city.
by Words: 495 Photos: 42
- May 31st 2008 shiny side up again!
by Words: 734 Photos: 15
- May 28th 2008 Use your noodle!
by Words: 630 Photos: 0
- April 5th 2008 Visiting Auntie Tamaki
by Words: 311 Photos: 20
- March 15th 2008 15.03.08 Verkatert in Usuki
by Words: 195 Photos: 7
- March 13th 2008 13-14.03.08 Aso, Vulkane, Beppu, Onzen
by Words: 682 Photos: 12