Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Fujian
Blogs from Fujian
Latest Blogs from Fujian
- April 26th 2013 Revisiting Fuzhou = a few days with Pascal.
by Words: 593 Photos: 95
- April 15th 2013 A sunny day in Quanzhou, Fujian
by Words: 175 Photos: 60
- March 26th 2013 My biking trip adventure in Fujian province.
by Words: 2426 Photos: 14
- January 6th 2013 Il sole, il caldo e le case a ciambella
by Words: 859 Photos: 12
- December 19th 2012 8 wonderen om mee te maken in China
by Words: 925 Photos: 9
- December 7th 2012 Taas näitä päiviä!!!
by Words: 470 Photos: 1
- October 10th 2012 The Marketing Begins In Fuzhou - China
by Words: 457 Photos: 8
- August 26th 2012 Final days at the school...
by Words: 1341 Photos: 5
- August 25th 2012 Shaolin stretching and Taining times two
by Words: 1095 Photos: 2
- August 25th 2012 Xiamen, skin nibbling fish and wooden penises.
by Words: 1712 Photos: 5
- August 23rd 2012 Bootcamp gets lethal
by Words: 1444 Photos: 4
- August 21st 2012 Chef, salad abominations and silent thunder
by Words: 734 Photos: 1
- August 20th 2012 Boy Boxing and Bone Crunching
by Words: 1124 Photos: 2
- August 17th 2012 Boy talk...
by Words: 1030 Photos: 2
- August 12th 2012 Kung Fu Panda Kicks ass (well i learn how to do a backward roll...)
by Words: 973 Photos: 2
- August 10th 2012 Marathon (Wo)Man.
by Words: 733 Photos: 1
- August 9th 2012 Piggybacking French boys and the terror of Taining
by Words: 858 Photos: 2
- August 8th 2012 Bear crawling stairs...Let the Pain begin...
by Words: 806 Photos: 2
- August 7th 2012 First day at Rising Dragon School - and meeting my new school friends.
by Words: 1100 Photos: 2
- August 6th 2012 Everybody is Kung Fu Fighting...
by Words: 1185 Photos: 3