Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Fujian
Blogs from Fujian
Latest Blogs from Fujian
- January 15th 2014 Arrival at Millennium Harbourview Hotel, Xiamen (15th January 2014)
by Words: 209 Photos: 1
- January 15th 2014 Gulangyu Island, Xiamen (15th January 2014)
by Words: 200 Photos: 4
- December 3rd 2013 Out of the mountains.
by Words: 792 Photos: 7
- November 29th 2013 Zhangzhou, Teaching, and Earth Kingdom Tulou.
by Words: 831 Photos: 12
- November 25th 2013 It's my secret place. Wanna see? But don't tell anyone about it!
by Words: 660 Photos: 90
- November 22nd 2013 Riding Fuzhou to Xiamen.
by Words: 1349 Photos: 1
- October 29th 2013 Qi Mountain, Gu Mountain. Qishan, Gushan
by Words: 299 Photos: 4
- October 4th 2013 Warm up Finish.
by Words: 154 Photos: 0
- October 2nd 2013 Warm Up Part One.
by Words: 480 Photos: 0
- August 13th 2013 Day 23 - Cycling down the mountain, the Tea Shop, leave Nanjing
by Words: 278 Photos: 20
- August 12th 2013 Day 21 - Bullet train to Nanjing
by Words: 545 Photos: 5
- August 12th 2013 Day 22 - Nanjing -Tianluokeng Tulou cluster UNESCO Heritage site, Yichang Earth Building and camping at the Tea farm
by Words: 343 Photos: 54
- July 28th 2013 Day #109: Gulangu
by Words: 190 Photos: 5
- July 26th 2013 Day #107: Xiamen
by Words: 431 Photos: 2
- July 26th 2013 Day #108: Botanical Garden
by Words: 216 Photos: 5
- April 26th 2013 Revisiting Fuzhou = a few days with Pascal.
by Words: 593 Photos: 95
- April 15th 2013 A sunny day in Quanzhou, Fujian
by Words: 175 Photos: 60
- March 26th 2013 My biking trip adventure in Fujian province.
by Words: 2426 Photos: 14
- January 6th 2013 Il sole, il caldo e le case a ciambella
by Words: 859 Photos: 12
- December 19th 2012 8 wonderen om mee te maken in China
by Words: 925 Photos: 9