Background: Independent from France in 1960, Senegal joined with The Gambia to form the nominal confederation of Senegambia in 1982. However, the envisaged integration of the two countries was never carried out, and the union was dissolved in 1989. Despite peace talks, a southern separatist group sporadically has clashed with government forces since 1982. Senegal has a long history of participating in international peacekeeping.
Blogs from Saint-Louis
Latest Blogs from Saint-Louis
- September 17th 2013 A Time Travel to the north of Senegal for the "pearl of West Africa"
by Words: 1415 Photos: 2
- January 29th 2013 St Louis, one time capital of west Africa
by Words: 525 Photos: 14
- August 27th 2012 A Mini Adventure to Senegal
by Words: 1513 Photos: 16
- January 17th 2012 It's been a long three weeks...
by Words: 1631 Photos: 11
- March 1st 2011 Some recent garden stuff and other events
by Words: 81 Photos: 46
- February 14th 2011 Podor, Podor, Podor, Hodar!
by Words: 791 Photos: 19
- February 2nd 2011 Finally settled in
by Words: 1443 Photos: 15
- December 31st 2010 A plucking good Christmas Turkey Dinner extravaganza in Senegal!
by Words: 738 Photos: 11
- December 18th 2010 In a world away
by Words: 1358 Photos: 10
- December 15th 2010 Senegal - December 2010
by Words: 1697 Photos: 50
- December 9th 2010 Trying to survive and thrive
by Words: 1125 Photos: 18
- November 23rd 2010 Sick in Senegal
by Words: 849 Photos: 0
- November 15th 2010 A trip to Dakar with observations
by Words: 1623 Photos: 32
- November 12th 2010 Tranquille quoi and Volunteer
by Words: 1556 Photos: 26
- October 28th 2010 Senegalese Economy
by Words: 1929 Photos: 19
- October 25th 2010 Baptism
by Words: 168 Photos: 22
- October 21st 2010 Land Ho! Jan has a desitation!
by Words: 2024 Photos: 0
- October 15th 2010 The village of Doue
by Words: 88 Photos: 7
- October 14th 2010 2nd week here, going on 3rd, still not much
by Words: 773 Photos: 14
- October 12th 2010 Some recent garden stuff and my room
by Words: 133 Photos: 10