Background: In 788, about a century after the Arab conquest of North Africa, successive Moorish dynasties began to rule in Morocco. In the 16th century, the Sa'adi monarchy, particularly under Ahmad AL-MANSUR (1578-1603), repelled foreign invaders and inaugurated a golden age. In 1860, Spain occupied northern Morocco and ushered in a half century of trade rivalry among European powers that saw Morocco's sovereignty steadily eroded; in 1912, the French imposed a protectorate over the country. A protracted independence struggle with France ended successfully in 1956. The internationalized city of Tangier and most Spanish possessions were turned over to the new country that same year. Morocco virtually annexed Western Sahara during the late 1970s, but final resolution on the status of the territory remains unresolved. Gradual political reforms in the 1990s resulted in the establishment of a bicameral legislature in 1997. Parliamentary elections were held for the second time in September 2002 and municipal elections were held in September 2003.
Photos from Agadir
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Agadir
Latest Blogs from Agadir
- March 25th 2013 Agadir ( Modernité & Traditions )
by Words: 1093 Photos: 0
- January 2nd 2013 Agadir - relaxing by the sea for a Happy New Year!
by Words: 903 Photos: 38
- October 6th 2012 Southern most point, of the trip.
by Words: 533 Photos: 5
- July 29th 2012 Taghazout
by Words: 415 Photos: 32
- April 9th 2012 Viajar a estilo do meu host Abi, joelho estourado
by Words: 384 Photos: 4
- February 24th 2012 One man down, two, three...
by Words: 869 Photos: 2
- February 22nd 2012 Surfing the Waves or Face-Planting In The Ocean?
by Words: 708 Photos: 3
- December 27th 2011 Agadir
by Words: 142 Photos: 12
- December 27th 2010 Rock the Kasbah!
by Words: 303 Photos: 7
- September 6th 2010 Just Put Some Argan on it...
by Words: 695 Photos: 4
- August 31st 2010 Agadir
by Words: 590 Photos: 3
- November 16th 2009 Getting close to end
by Words: 753 Photos: 0
- July 13th 2009 Agadir Excursion
by Words: 794 Photos: 0
- November 19th 2008 Fish, More Fish and Camel Tagines
by Words: 747 Photos: 0
- July 13th 2008 Agadir...family time!
by Words: 263 Photos: 14
- July 13th 2008 Agadir - Taghazout
by Words: 149 Photos: 4
- February 8th 2008 Cycling south: Essaouira to Agadir
by Words: 1777 Photos: 10
- February 6th 2008 Fishy Buisness
by Words: 609 Photos: 9
- February 5th 2008 Chickens and Cheats
by Words: 1117 Photos: 15
- January 20th 2008 Backpacking in Morocco
by Words: 714 Photos: 6