Background: In 788, about a century after the Arab conquest of North Africa, successive Moorish dynasties began to rule in Morocco. In the 16th century, the Sa'adi monarchy, particularly under Ahmad AL-MANSUR (1578-1603), repelled foreign invaders and inaugurated a golden age. In 1860, Spain occupied northern Morocco and ushered in a half century of trade rivalry among European powers that saw Morocco's sovereignty steadily eroded; in 1912, the French imposed a protectorate over the country. A protracted independence struggle with France ended successfully in 1956. The internationalized city of Tangier and most Spanish possessions were turned over to the new country that same year. Morocco virtually annexed Western Sahara during the late 1970s, but final resolution on the status of the territory remains unresolved. Gradual political reforms in the 1990s resulted in the establishment of a bicameral legislature in 1997. Parliamentary elections were held for the second time in September 2002 and municipal elections were held in September 2003.
Photos from Souss-Massa-Draâ
Blogs from Souss-Massa-Draâ
Latest Blogs from Souss-Massa-Draâ
- March 25th 2013 Agadir ( Modernité & Traditions )
by Words: 1093 Photos: 0
- March 24th 2013 Ouarzazate ( à Rome comme les Romains )
by Words: 1158 Photos: 12
- March 22nd 2013 Boumalne Dadès ( ou Comment ne pas se Rendre à l'Hôtel Panoramic )
by Words: 1188 Photos: 7
- March 20th 2013 Morocco part III - Running in Zagora
by Words: 588 Photos: 23
- February 6th 2013 Un peu plus d’aventures au Maroc!
by Words: 1637 Photos: 19
- January 2nd 2013 Agadir - relaxing by the sea for a Happy New Year!
by Words: 903 Photos: 38
- November 21st 2012 Fun and games in the Sahara
by Words: 474 Photos: 0
- October 6th 2012 Southern most point, of the trip.
by Words: 533 Photos: 5
- October 4th 2012 A day at the movies
by Words: 445 Photos: 8
- October 3rd 2012 Feeling hot hot hot!
by Words: 925 Photos: 10
- October 1st 2012 Overlanding is harder than it looks
by Words: 582 Photos: 9
- July 29th 2012 Taghazout
by Words: 415 Photos: 32
- July 21st 2012 kasbah de taourirt
by Words: 378 Photos: 8
- July 19th 2012 Ait ben haddou
by Words: 292 Photos: 21
- July 10th 2012 Decisao tomada: retornar ao Brasil, e com direito a surpresa!!!
by Words: 344 Photos: 3
- July 5th 2012 Visita a Kasbah Ait Benhadou a tarde, folga dos voluntarios
by Words: 167 Photos: 8
- June 30th 2012 Vida no Marrocos, trabalho voluntario
by Words: 246 Photos: 6
- June 28th 2012 Casamento a moda Berber
by Words: 287 Photos: 2
- June 25th 2012 Gorges Region, Morocco
by Words: 2945 Photos: 0
- May 11th 2012 Mais uma vez em Ouarzazate, curtindo a familia
by Words: 356 Photos: 4