36 Hatherley Road: My Childhood Home

United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
August 18th 2017
Published: August 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Kitchen DoorstepKitchen DoorstepKitchen Doorstep

I used to sit here eating titbits from Mum
36 Hatherley Road: My Childhood Home

August 18th 2017

Here is the ancient floor,

Footworn and hollowed and thin,

Here was the former door

Where the dead feet walked in.

She sat here in her chair,

Smiling into the fire…

This is from Thomas Hardy’s poem The Self-Unseeing where he revisits his childhood home in Dorset. It could just as well be me today. Here I am, back at No. 36 Hatherley Road, the house where I grew up between 1955 (when I was 3) and 1970 (when I left for university). Like Hardy, I am in the presence of ghosts – the ghosts of my dead parents, the ghost of my younger self, the ghosts of old furniture. The house has been modernized since my mother’s death in 1988, but it is still essentially the same as it was all those years ago when I was a schoolboy.

I have returned from Vietnam, where I have been living since 2001, to sell the house (or “the family silver”, as my friend Maurice puts it). The house became wholly mine in 1991, when I bought my
Kitchen CupboardKitchen CupboardKitchen Cupboard

Dad's handiwork
sister’s half share. Since then it has had a variety of tenants, who have treated it with varying degrees of respect.

I will be inhabiting the house for at least two months – the time needed to finalize the sale. My tenants – my last ever tenants - have moved out, and now I have the place to myself. Just myself and the ghosts.

It is a bitter-sweet experience to be back in the old home for the last time. I wish I could hang on to it forever, but I am not wealthy and need the cash. I am filled with nostalgia for the old days. It gives me great pleasure to look at those features of the house – doors, walls, shelves, a cupboard, a mirror, a hook – which have remained intact since the 1950’s or 60’s when my parents were alive.

In the following paragraphs I will describe each part of the house and the memories it holds for me.


When my father bought the house in October 1954 for £1500, there were 3 downstairs rooms: a kitchen, a living-room and a ‘front room’. The kitchen had, and
The LarderThe LarderThe Larder

Off the kitchen and underneath the stairs
still has, an old-fashioned larder. Adjoining the kitchen were a toilet and a shed.

My father was a consummate handyman, a carpet-fitter by trade, well able to mix concrete, build cupboards and do electrical jobs. I used to call him “a master of the ad hoc”. One of the first things he did was construct a new shed at the end of the garden and lay a concrete path from the house to the shed. The old shed was levelled.


There are now 3 bedrooms, but there used to be a bathroom too. The small bedroom at the top of the stairs was mine before my sister came along. My parents slept in the front bedroom, overlooking Hatherley Road. The other bedroom was for lodgers and guests and later became mine. The original bathroom was an extension of the small bedroom until we had a new bathroom built downstairs.

The Kitchen

The old kitchen had a back door to the garden and another door leading to the toilet. I will always remember my mother doing the washing by hand over the sink and putting the clothes through the mangle.
Larder ShelfLarder ShelfLarder Shelf

Unchanged from 1955

She was forever cooking and baking. I was very partial to currant cake and mince pies, and Mum kept me well supplied with both. I also remember her delicious apple tarts (made from windfalls into our garden) and not quite so delicious rhubarb tarts. In those early days we had no fridge – very few people did.

The old kitchen had a small window. We decided sometime in the 1960’s to have a much larger window installed. Victor Tosh, a family friend and a builder, carried out the improvement. Victor was a bit of a cowboy, and my father had to give him instructions. I remember my mother praying, as Victor knocked a huge hole in the wall, that the house would not fall down

The bare wooden (oak?) doorstep between the kitchen and the living-room is a time capsule. It was already worn when we moved in and was obviously part of the original house – circa 1900. I remember sitting on that doorstep as a small boy, eating tasty titbits given to me by Mum.

There are two kitchen cupboards, head high on the walls, both built and fitted by my father. On the wall,
Back GardenBack GardenBack Garden

The back garden in 2007
near the living-room entrance, is a row of old hooks. I’ll wager these are from the 1950’s.

The Larder

Underneath the staircase, following its slope, is the larder. Modern houses do not have larders. This lovely old-fashioned larder is a time capsule from 1900. It is separate from the kitchen, exactly as it was in 1955 – except for the produce now displayed on its shelves. The shelves are the original shelves from 1955. The lower shelf is still covered in the red linoleum that my father put there around 1955. One wall – the wall between the larder and the living-room – consists of thin wooden slats, which is proof of the house’s antiquity, because nowadays all walls are made of plaster.

I have two special memories of the larder. When I was very young, Dad put a ship’s intercom or speaking tube in my bedroom (the small bedroom), which was over the larder, enabling me to communicate with downstairs. The tube went through the larder ceiling to the person down below.

My other memory concerns the family cat. The dustmen used to come every week and could be heard approaching from the
The Shed My Dad BuiltThe Shed My Dad BuiltThe Shed My Dad Built

A monument to Dad's all-round skill as a handyman
distance. When the cat heard them, he buried himself deep among the paper bags and assorted rubbish at the back of the larder and didn’t reappear until long after the dustmen had gone.

The Original Toilet

When we moved in, in 1955, there was an outside toilet – where the ‘lobby’ is today. It had a head-high metal cistern and a hanging chain. I remember the maker’s name on the porcelain toilet bowl: Adamsez. The toilet was unheated, so going to the loo in winter was a distinctly chilly experience.

The New Bathroom

Sometime in the 1960’s my father had the bright idea of installing a new bathroom downstairs. We were the first house in the terrace to do this, and soon other houses followed suit. I think the new bathroom cost £500.

Having a bathroom downstairs, complete with toilet, was a luxury. We had a paraffin or electric heater there for the cold weather – a vast improvement on the old cold outside toilet. With the demise of the upstairs bathroom, the small bedroom was now more spacious and had a window view of the garden. The age of the
Garden WallGarden WallGarden Wall

The Jennings family used to live behind this wall. A cooking apple tree, long gone, spread its branches overhead
shower had barely dawned, and my parents were old-fashioned, so the bathtub was still where we washed our bodies. Later, when the house was inhabited by tenants, I had a shower installed over the bath and, after that, as far as I know, nobody ever used the bathtub again.

The bathroom contains two examples of my father’s handiwork – the mirror cabinet over the toilet and the sliding door. The bathtub today is the original one, perhaps even the same one we had upstairs in 1955.

The Living-Room

This was where we ate. The dining table, four wooden chairs, the sideboard and two armchairs were the main pieces of furniture. There was also a pouffe, a round box on legs containing my mother’s sewing materials, and a Singer sewing machine. I remember vividly the family meals: Dad on my left, facing the window; Mum opposite me; Elizabeth opposite Dad. We always said grace before eating. My dad sometimes used Irish at the dining table: if he wanted butter, he would say – “a thabhairt dom an t-im”; milk – “a thabhairt dom an bainne”.

All the original furniture has gone now except for the
The Stairs and BanisterThe Stairs and BanisterThe Stairs and Banister

The banister rail is unchanged from 1955. That's my sister's bedroom at the top - I slept there as a youngster next to the original bathroom
chairs. These are plain brown varnished chairs, elegant and extremely well made to have lasted over 60 years. My father used to refer to these as ‘Polish chairs’ because, presumably, they were made by a Polish craftsman, either in Poland or in Reading. In Reading, when I was growing up, there was a community of Polish Roman Catholics.

The old fireplace from 1955 is still there with its original mottled brown tiles and wooden surround (now stained black). In the early days we had an open coal or coke fire with a fireguard in front. Sometimes it took ages to get the fire going; no amount of newspaper and puffing and blowing would get the coal to kindle, so we used firelighters to speed things up. I remember the chimney-sweep coming to clear the soot. My mother put newly washed clothes around the fire, on a clothes horse, to dry out. Then we changed to a paraffin heater (which gave off a horrible smell), later to electric and gas fires and, finally, after my mother’s death, to posh central heating.

A relic of the 50’s or 60’s is the living-room door, which has two old-fashioned features: a ball-bearing
Stairs and LandingStairs and LandingStairs and Landing

Looking down the stairs
door catch and a red-and-silver plastic door handle.

The radio, or wireless, was perched in the corner nearest the window. Favourite programmes were the news, Mrs Dale’s Diary, Workers’ Playtime, Children’s Favourites, Letter From America (my Dad’s favourite) and Pick of the Pops (after 5pm mass on Sundays). It was from that wireless that I first heard The Beatles. Their single Please Please Me made a great impression on me, and I remember asking my mother if she knew the name of the band playing it.

We had a TV in that corner too for a while, until the front room became the TV room. I watched Sunday Night At The London Palladium there; Bruce Forsyth was the host, and one night the surprise guests were The Beatles.

There was a window looking into the back graden. I remember Monty, the family cat, beating his paws against the window at night when he wanted to come inside.

My father had his favourite armchair, opposite the window, where he liked to sit with a bottle of Guinness diluted with tonic water. On Sunday evenings he always listened to the radio programme Your 100 Best Tunes, presented by
The Banister and the LandingThe Banister and the LandingThe Banister and the Landing

The landing at the top of the stairs
Alan Keith, while the rest of us watched TV in the front room.

After my father’s death in 1976, my mother used to sit in the same place, in her special orthopaedic chair (she had osteoporosis), watching TV.

In the 50’s and 60’s the dining table, when we were not using it for meals, became a vehicle for card games and monopoly. I enjoyed playing lexicon with Dad, who loved the English language, and I remember his delight one evening at putting down the word TURQUOISE. He occasionally used this table to show off his one and only magic trick: the four-cork trick.

When I became interested in art during the 1960’s, I hung my favourite pictures on the living-room walls. There was The Mona Lisa (whom Dad passed off as his mother to a silly woman who used to visit us), Turner’s Fighting Temeraire and The Rockeby Venus by Velazquez. This last picture, a splendid nude, scandalized the nuns who used to visit my mother.

After my mother died in 1988, the front room and living-room were knocked into one, and something was lost. The new larger space, with the TV in the corner near
Hallway DecorationHallway DecorationHallway Decoration

You wouldn't find this in a modern home
the back garden window, was a vast improvement, but I missed the intimacy of that old small living-room.

The Front Room

Until my mother died the main living area downstairs was divided in two. There was the living room, where we ate and listened to the radio, and the front room, where we watched TV, where our first telephone sat and where special visitors were entertained. After my mother’s death the wall separating the living-room from the front room was knocked down, and the front room door was filled in, creating a large living-room with a single door from the hall. With hindsight, we should have merged the two rooms earlier. The front room had been used mainly for TV-watching in the evenings and so was a waste of space during the day.

Anyway, for many years we had a rather sombre and formal front room separated by a wall from the living-room and kitchen. The TV was in the corner to the right of the window. I remember the front room as the place where I watched Grandstand, Dr Who, Dixon of Dock Green, Juke Box Jury, The Billy Cotton Band Show, The
Stairwell DecorationStairwell DecorationStairwell Decoration

You wouldn't find this in a modern home
Black and White Minstrel Show, Grandstand with David Coleman, the FA Cup Final and the European Cup Final of 1967 (Celtic v Inter Milan). There was a settee and an armchair. We bought the settee for £5. My father spotted it for sale in Nobby’s shop in Hatherley Road. It was plastic and greyish. How I wish I had photos of all the old furniture.

Next to the alleyway wall was a cupboard with a gas metre inside where we kept bottles of beer and tonic water. It was a very cool cupboard, a natural refrigerator. It has long since gone. In its place today is a wooden case specially designed to house a video-player and a TV.

The Stairs and Landing

How many thousands of times have I climbed those narrow dimly lit stairs? It is an intimate and familiar experience, as natural to me as breathing. Unchanged since 1955 – the same wooden banister on the left, the same wooden railings along the landing. The wallpaper and the carpet have changed, but the experience of climbing those stairs is very satisfying, a link with my childhood.

On the landing is a wardrobe,
Art Deco Door HandleArt Deco Door HandleArt Deco Door Handle

On the original living-room door, this handle dates from the 1960's
made by my father.

The Façade and the Roof

The original brick façade is unchanged from when the house was built – around 1900. The front door has been replaced twice. The front windows – indeed all the windows in the house – have been modernized. In 2004 I finally got rid of the old sash windows and had them replaced with double-glazed. The ropes and lead weights that the sash windows relied on only became visible when the modernization was taking place. Although the new double-glazed windows are far superior, I miss those rickety draughty vertically sliding windows that were part of my life from 1955 onwards.

The roof is the original roof from 1955 - and for how many years before that I can only guess. In the 1960’s my father had a protective coating put over the slates to prevent them falling off during gales, and it remains there to this day.

The brick chimney stack on the edge of the roof has four cream-coloured pots (which, apparently, indicates that there used to be four fireplaces in the house - two downstairs and two upstairs). Until four years ago the chimney-pots
Living-Room DoorLiving-Room DoorLiving-Room Door

From the 60's
were open to the elements, but thanks to an enterprising tenant they are now all capped.

The Front Garden

There has always been a tiled path up to the front door and a small garden next to it. In my mother’s day, this garden was floriferous with a patch of lawn in the centre. She took great pride in keeping it tidy and attractive.

After her death, the front garden went to the dogs. The tenants were uninterested in keeping it tidy, and it began to look a mess. So I hired a gardener to lay a cloth over the soil and cover it with gravel. It now looks respectable and no longer needs tending.

The garden is bounded on one side by a brick wall. The other two sides consist of metal railings with alternating arrow-headed or hemispherical tops. These must have been part of the original house. Years ago, whenever I returned from overseas, I used to spend the best part of two days repainting the rusty old railings. I haven’t bothered now for over ten years, but the railings are still strong and perhaps good for another century.

The FireplaceThe FireplaceThe Fireplace

Where we used to burn coal and coke to keep warm in winter

The Front Door and Porch

The front door has been replaced twice since 1955. The original door was solid wood. It did not have a fancy lock, just a simple old-fashioned Yale that could be deadlocked by pressing down a tab on the inside. In addition, there were two heavy bolts that we used to slide across at night. When burglars entered through this door one night, it was because the tenants had not bothered to bolt it. The second door had a large glass panel and was penetrated by burglars. The latest door has a small glass window, is sturdy, is fitted with a good lock and is burglar-proof. Originally there was an old-fashioned bell connected by wire to a battery in the larder; nowadays there is a wireless bell.

The front door is set back into the house, creating a porch. In the old days, during sunny summer weather, my mother used to hang a curtain in front of the porch to protect the door from the sun. This tradition was abandoned long ago, but the original curtain hooks are still there.

I have one outstanding porch memory. In the 1960’s I returned in the
Fireplace TilesFireplace TilesFireplace Tiles

Original fireplace tiles
early dawn from one of my hitch-hiking holidays. I didn’t want to wake up my parents, so I huddled up in the porch. I will never forget the sound of my father’s snoring from the front bedroom – it was ferocious.

The Hall

The entrance hall to 36 Hatherley Road – stretching from the front door to the foot of the stairs – is unremarkable except for the semicircular ornamental arch next to the living-room door. The arch is made of plaster and lends a classical touch to the hallway. It echoes the semicircular arch above the porch. Over the living-room door is a pane of frosted glass, which has been there since 1955.

In front of the arch, on the right, screwed into the wall, was a metal coat and hat rack. Dad’s raincoat and trilby hat, Mum’s overcoat and my school blazer were always there. For some daft reason I replaced the original metal rack with an inferior wooden one.

For years the telephone was situated in the hall at the foot of the stairs. It was convenient and quite private, but cold in winter, to sit on the stairs while talking
The Living-RoomThe Living-RoomThe Living-Room

As it is today..
into the phone.

The ‘Lobby’

After the new bathroom had been built, Dad christened the narrow passageway between the back door and the kitchen the ‘lobby’. It used to be the toilet area. At the time I didn’t appreciate my father’s ironic wit. A lobby is a large impressive area attached to a hotel or theatre, whereas our ‘lobby’ is nondescript and tiny. I remember my mother’s best friend, Patsy Powell, chuckling at Dad’s little joke.

We used to enter the garden through the lobby door. I used to manoeuvre my bicycle through the lobby from the garden into the house. There was a rack in our lobby – still there - where boots and shoes were kept.

Before we replaced the living-room window with a garden door, the only entrance from the house into the garden was through the lobby. The old back door was flimsy, and after a burglary I had a new stronger door installed.

Today the lobby is a no-go area. My tenants have filled it up with their stuff, making it impassable. In the unlikely event of burglars penetrating the back door, they would have a hard job
Bedroom DoorBedroom DoorBedroom Door

The door of the bedroom I occupied during my Stoneham School days
getting through the miscellaneous junk.

At one end of the lobby, next to the bathroom door, are shelves installed by my father. These have always been a storage space for tools, nails, screws etc.

The Back Garden

When we moved in, the back garden was an overgrown tangle of mainly gooseberry bushes. We cleared away the bushes, my father built a concrete path, and now there was a flower-bed on one side of the path and on the other side an area where I could play. My father built a swing for me and my sister, but this did not last long.

At some time in the 1950’s my father experimented with growing potatoes and mushrooms, but these projects came to naught. The potato plants grew strong and tall , but the potatoes themselves were little bigger than marbles. My father used manure for his mushrooms, and the manure was supplied by the horse which pulled the milk cart that trundled down Hatherley Road every day. The horse used to defecate in front of our house, and when it did, my father would rush out with a bucket and shovel to collect the free
Bedroom BookshelvesBedroom BookshelvesBedroom Bookshelves

Dad made these for my books

A feature of the garden in the old days was the coal and coke bunker. For a few years, before we switched to paraffin heaters, we relied on a coal and coke fire in the living-room. The men who delivered the coal and coke would heave their merchandise through our house before depositing it inside the garden bunker.

At Primary School I fell under the spell of my teacher, Mr Price, who was a keen naturalist. He used to lead school expeditions to local ponds, where I caught newts and tadpoles and waterbeetles in my net. Every spring I used to bring home frogspawn from Whiteknights Lake and watch the tadpoles metamorphose into frogs. My father built me a little pond in the garden – a car tyre covered in polythene – in which the frogspawn matured. I never fed the tadpoles, naively thinking they would survive on pond weed. In fact they were starving. It was a common sight to see a tadpole swimming with its guts hanging out – the victim of cannibalism.

Our garden was truly a little nature reserve. There were ladybirds galore: two varieties – the common orange one with black
Built By DadBuilt By DadBuilt By Dad

This built-in wardrobe in my old bedroom was made by Dad
spots and the less common yellow one, also with black spots. There were bees, butterflies, beetles, woodlice, spiders, wasps and ants. I used to enjoy putting red ants and black ants together and watching the ensuing battle, which the red ants always won. My father frightened me by saying that the king of the ants would come to my bed during the night and take his revenge. In the late summer we used to put out jamjars to catch the wasps. They would enter through a hole in the lid to feast on the scraps of jam inside, where they were trapped and slowly died. Our garden had all sorts of birds – house martins and swifts in the summer skies, and in the trees sparrows, starlings, greenfinches, blue tits, robins, thrushes, blackbirds, dunnocks and wood pigeons.

Bordering our garden were the gardens of Mr & Mrs Wiggins, our next door neighbours, and the Jennings family in Addington Road. The Wiggins’ garden, separated from ours by a low wall, was filled with beautiful flowers and had two apple trees, one of which yielded cooking apples, the other delicious Cox’s Orange Pippins. The Jennings’ garden had a big cooking apple

This was my father's bureau in the living-room
tree which overhung our garden and gave us plentiful windfalls. My mother used the windfalls to make her apple tarts. One year my father used them to make cider. He crushed the apples in a vice, the juice poured down a polythene chute into bottles, and the resulting brew was very drinkable.

The Jennings family had two beautiful daughters, Rosemary and Caroline, who used to lean over the garden wall and tease me. They were older and smarter than I was.

Sometime in the 60’s, my mother got the idea of having a proper lawn. She dragooned me into removing all the stones I could find, and then the grass seed was planted. From then on the main area of the garden became a passable lawn, where, during the summer, we would sit in our deck chairs. I loved listening to music and one summer blasted The Dubliners through my bedroom window to the garden below.

My father was very kind to the family cats (we had three over the years). He built a ‘cat flat’ or cubby hole in the garden where our pet could sleep during the night. It was a pile of bricks with
Polish ChairPolish ChairPolish Chair

One of the 4 Polish chairs
an entrance and a comfy insulated space in the centre.

The Shed

One of the first things my father did after buying the house was construct a shed at the end of the garden. He laid a concrete foundation and built a wooden shed on top of it. Inside the shed was a work bench with a vice attached, innumerable tins of nails and screws, various tools and all manner of potentially useful junk. My father, a very private man, spent a lot of time in the shed, pottering about, sometimes making things. He once made me a very fine catapult, but as soon as I broke a window, he sawed it up into little pieces. He adored opera and could often be heard singing his heart out in the shed.

Our favourite and longest-lived cat was named Monty (after Monty Python). My father paid Monty the compliment of building him a little wooden staircase up the side of the shed to the garden wall – to spare Monty the trouble of having to leap up from the ground. The wooden staircase has now disappeared, ravaged by time and encroaching ivy.

The shed was
My Parents' BedroomMy Parents' BedroomMy Parents' Bedroom

Their bed was against the wall here
also the resting place, the stable if you like, for my beloved bicycle. It was a Raleigh racer that my father bought for me round about 1967. He knew all about bikes and attached hooks to the shed ceiling so that my Raleigh could be suspended in mid-air with no pressure on the tyres.

The Small Bedroom

This is at the top of the stairs. It has a sloping ceiling, following the contours of the roof, and it was where I slept until my sister came along. It was cosy, but its great drawback was the adjoining bathroom (see below).

Later, after the new bathroom was built downstairs, it was more spacious and salubrious. It became my sister’s bedroom, her sanctum sanctorum as a rebellious teenager. My father insulated the ceiling with tiles of expanded polystyrene and built a cabinet where my sister exhibited her doll collection. The old bathroom wash-basin remained for some years until my father, who believed it might lead to an increase in the rates, had it removed. I remember my disappointment, because now I could no longer piss in the sink – I had to trek all the way downstairs.
Bedroom BookcaseBedroom BookcaseBedroom Bookcase

Dad made this wall cupboard for my sister's doll collection. It is now full of my books.

After I left the UK for overseas, I put all my stuff into this bedroom and locked it. It was a no-go area for my tenants, who had to make do with the other two bedrooms. The doll cabinet became a storehouse for my books. Whenever I‘ve returned from abroad, this little bedroom is where I’ve slept. I am sleeping there now, awaiting the departure of my tenants and the sale of the house.

The Original Bathroom

The original bathroom was upstairs, accessible only through the small bedroom. It was tiny, containing only a bath and wash basin. In 1955 showers were unheard of. After I had gone to bed, Mum and Dad often used to pass through my room in order to do their ablutions. As I lay there, waiting for my mother/father to finish bathing, the steam and condensation must have been unhealthy. A wall separated me from the bathroom window and fresh air.

My mother liked to towel me down after I’d had a bath. I remember the last time she ever did this. My friend Tony Mrowicki was downstairs, and mum wanted to hurry me up. I was embarrassed in
View From My Parents' BedroomView From My Parents' BedroomView From My Parents' Bedroom

There used to be a dressing table and a picture of the Sacred Heart here
case Tony found out and thought I was a baby.

The Front Bedroom

This was where Mum and Dad slept in a - by today’s standards - small double bed. There were a couple of wardrobes and a dressing table. Over the dressing table was a picture of the Sacred Heart. Dad was a communist and an atheist, but he tolerated the religious picture because Mum liked it and because it was a link with his native Ireland. It always tickled me that Dad had a bust of Lenin over the bedroom door, just a few metres away from Mum's Sacred Heart picture.

When we had visitors, I occasionally had to share the double bed with my parents – my head down between their legs.

My great memory, however, of this bedroom is of Sunday mornings, when Mum and Dad allowed me and my sister to come in and snuggle up with them for a short time. I used to love this. My parents, especially my father, seldom openly expressed their affection for me, so this intimate Sunday morning bonding was very special.

When my mother died, we got rid of the old-fashioned
The Built-In Wardrobe TodayThe Built-In Wardrobe TodayThe Built-In Wardrobe Today

In my parents' day there was a free-standing wooden wardrobe in their bedroom and, as I recall, a boarded-up old fireplace
wardrobes and had a built-in wardrobe, with mirror sliding doors, installed along one wall.

The Second Bedroom

This bedroom faces away from Hatherley Road, looking out at the houses surrounding the garden. It has an old fireplace, covered over with a panel and never used by my family. The door, with its two panes of frosted glass at the top and matching wooden panels below (identical to my parents’ bedroom door), is the original door from 1955, perhaps even from 1900. This bedroom was where our lodgers stayed during the 1950’s. I remember the German bachelors, Winfried Weber and Peter, who were very kind to me and who made such a good impression on my parents. This was not long afer WW2, and in England there was naturally some animosity towards Germans. I have no idea what these Germans were doing in Reading at that time. And there was another lodger, a cyclist, whose name I do not remember, who was always taking his bike apart in our back yard.

But the lodgers who made the greatest impression were Osmond Nixon and Steve McCabe. Steve was a Glaswegian who used to drive his car up
The Small Bedroom The Small Bedroom The Small Bedroom

This is my sister's bedroom, where I slept as a Primary schoolboy and where I am sleeping today
to Scotland. Osmond was a bachelor and a ladies’ man, a smoker and a drinker. I remember him bringing a girlfriend into our front room. My sister had a speech impediment when she was very young and could not pronounce ‘Mr Nixon’; she called him ‘Mick Nick’ instead.

When the era of the lodgers ended and my sister arrived, this bedroom became mine. It was where I slept throughout the 1960’s, until I went to university, and after that whenever I returned to Reading. My father constructed shelves to house my growing book collection and gave me a built-in wardrobe with a sliding door where I could hang my clothes.

It was cold upstairs in those days, especially in the winter. To keep warm we relied on electric fires and hot water bottles. Later I had the luxury of an electric blanket. Under my bed was a chamber pot. It was a long walk down to the toilet during the night, so I frequently pissed in the pot and hid it beneath my bed. I sometimes forgot to empty the pot the next morning; indeed it was not uncommon for me to leave it there, full
The Old Front DoorThe Old Front DoorThe Old Front Door

This was the second front door. The first one, as I recall, did not have a glass panel. The large glass panel was a weakness, and the lock and bolt were inadequate. A thief once broke into the house through this rather flimsy door. The number 36 on the frosted glass is from the original 1955 house and was replaced when the new thief-proof front door was installed
of stale piss, unemptied for a week or longer.

I remember one Xmas morning being woken up by Dad, who pulled open the curtains and announced: “Look out at the best Xmas present you could ever have.” It had snowed overnight, and the garden was beautiful to behold.

As a schoolboy I often used to get ill (bronchitis or pleurisy as a rule), and in those days it was normal for the family doctor to visit the patient at home. I remember Dr Gledhill and Dr Walford coming to visit me in my sick bed in this bedroom. I also remember having a terrible cold, being given a glass of punch (whisky and hot water) by my father and waking up the next morning, my bed and pyjamas absolutely drenched with sweat, but cured.

The Alleyway

There is an alleyway running between our end-of-terrace house and 36A next door. It has a door, which is sometimes bolted. It belongs to three houses in Addington Road. In the 50’s it belonged to the Bruces, the Holmans and the Coxes. We have never used, or been allowed to use, this alley, but I have some memories
The Hallway and StairsThe Hallway and StairsThe Hallway and Stairs

The lovely Romanesque hallway arch
of it.

As a schoolboy, and not possessing a front door key, I used to climb over the alley wall into our back garden when my mother was out. It was a high wall, and scaling it was quite an effort.

One Bonfire Night, in the 60’s, we were setting off fireworks in the back garden. Unbeknown to us, some boys were spectating from the alley. One of them shouted “What a bird!” (referring to my sister), before they all scarpered.

After my mother’s death I had a gas fire installed in the new large living-room. A hole had to be knocked in the alley wall to create a vent to the outer air. Over the hole, protruding into the alley-way, was a protective metal cover. I worried about possible vandalism. In the event, there was no vandalism, but the gas fire did not last long before I had central heating installed. Then the vent to the alley-way was bricked up once more.

I will end my little essay with another quotation from Thomas Hardy, from his poem Old Furniture:

I know not how it may be
My HouseMy HouseMy House

From the street
with others
Who sit amid relics of householdry
That date from the days of their mothers' mothers,
But well I know how it is with me

I see the hands of the generations
That owned each shiny familiar thing
In play on its knobs and indentations,
And with its ancient fashioning
Still dallying…

That is exactly how I feel sitting in the old family house for the last time, waiting for contracts to be exchanged and the buyer to take possession. This is a watershed in my life; it is as if an umbilical cord has been severed. Unlike Hardy, who sees the ghosts of several generations, I see just one set of ghosts: the ghosts of Mum and Dad and of my younger self. The original features of the house – the fireplace, the kitchen doorstep, the larder, the stairs and landing – are all wonderfully evocative of my childhood days. I was a contented boy, loved by my parents, happy at school, happy to live in the old-fashioned, cramped, sometimes cold, sometimes smelly (that paraffin heater!), forever dear end-of-terrace house that was No. 36 Hatherley Road. I daresay I will never see it again after I return to Vietnam, and I daresay the new owners will modernize it, but the old house, especially as it used to be from 1954 until my mother’s death in 1988, will always be part of my heart.

Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 32


24th July 2021

Neighbours 1981 to 1983
Hello Kevin, we were neighbours to your mum from February 1981 to November 1983, having bought number 34 from the the son of Mrs Wiggins after she had passed away. We paid £17,250 for it and it was a stretch for us to obtain a mortgage for it. Our house was a mirror image of yours, and when we moved in it was un-modernised- still having an outside toilet, and a small bathroom upstairs. Rather than build an extension to the rear to house a downstairs bathroom, we removed the dividing wall between the rooms above the kitchen and installed a full bathroom there, so we had just two bedrooms. We then knocked the outside loo into the kitchen, bricked up the door and installed a window in the end wall looking out into the garden- I say garden, but initially it would have looked out into the ramshackle lean-to shed that had been built up close up against your mum's bathroom wall. When we removed this shed, it exposed the wall of your mum's bathroom which was not in the best shape. We wondered if it had been built when the shed was already there as it had not been pointed properly on our side. We spoke to your mum about this, and our builder rendered it for her. When we moved in there was a structure at the end of the garden made out of curved corrugated iron sheets that was being used as another shed. We wondered whether this had been an Anderson shelter. Anyway we cut that up and replaced it with a wooden shed. We can only remember there being one apple tree in our garden when we moved in and it produced a poor crop of not particularly nice apples, so we removed that too. Your mum was very friendly to us from the start, and gave us her old washing machine when she upgraded to an automatic one. It was a hot tub with an agitator and used to jump across the kitchen floor when in use, and had an electric powered mangle on the top. It was a great boon to us at the time as it saved us going to the launderette at the bottom of the road. We well remember your cat Monty as having a very powerful stare- when we first moved in he scared the life out of us when we opened the curtains to the rear sitting room to find him sitting on the window sill. On the other side of your mum's house at the time we lived there was John Wyeth's motorcycle repair shop. He was a friendly guy and would give me advice and help with the various old bangers I drove when they refused to start. At weekends there would often be large number of bikers hanging around outside his premises, but they never bothered us. We have fond memories of the first house we bought together in Hatherley Rd and my wife Tracy shed a few tears the day we left. Thank you for your interesting account of your early life "next door" All the best Paul
24th July 2021

Thanks for message!
I really enjoyed reading about your time in No. 34. I was living in Stourbridge in those days, returning during the school holidays (I was a teacher) to visit my mum. John Wyeth sold his workshop 3 years ago. All the best!

Tot: 0.397s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.014s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb