Background: Prior to the coming of the Spanish in the 16th century, northern Chile was under Inca rule while Araucanian Indians inhabited central and southern Chile; the latter were not completely subjugated until the early 1880s. Although Chile declared its independence in 1810, decisive victory over the Spanish was not achieved until 1818. In the War of the Pacific (1879-84), Chile defeated Peru and Bolivia and won its present northern lands. A three-year-old Marxist government of Salvador ALLENDE was overthrown in 1973 by a dictatorial military regime led by Augusto PINOCHET, who ruled until a freely elected president was installed in 1990. Sound economic policies, maintained consistently since the 1980s, have contributed to steady growth and have helped secure the country's commitment to democratic and representative government. Chile has increasingly assumed regional and international leadership roles befitting its status as a stable, democratic nation.
Photos from Santa Cruz
Blogs from Santa Cruz
Latest Blogs from Santa Cruz
- March 28th 2013 Torres Del Paine = amazing trekking!
by Words: 1862 Photos: 5
- June 6th 2012 Anyone care for wine?
by Words: 1693 Photos: 46
- June 5th 2012 Santa Cruz - There's something about Maria.......?
by Words: 709 Photos: 8
- March 23rd 2012 The Road Santa Cruz, Chile, NOT Santa Cruz California.
by Words: 1947 Photos: 0
- January 24th 2009 Back to Rengo - De vuelta a Rengo
by Words: 217 Photos: 14
- January 6th 2009 More Patagonian Adventures
by Words: 2942 Photos: 15
- December 19th 2008 Santa Cruz at its best. 30 degrees and cold wine
by Words: 80 Photos: 9
- December 18th 2008 Chile, Sun Wine and Flowers
by Words: 330 Photos: 7
- March 28th 2007 Vuokraemännän lahja meille
by Words: 1124 Photos: 8
- December 29th 2005 Five Star Christmas
by Words: 881 Photos: 10
- December 25th 2005 Happy Christmas!
by Words: 177 Photos: 0