Chile, Sun Wine and Flowers


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » O Higgins » Santa Cruz
December 18th 2008
Published: December 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Santa Cruz Santa Cruz Santa Cruz

Our hotel
So we have arrived in Chile at last. We left Toronto in a heavy snow storm that delayed us by three hours. The temperature plummetted to minus 9 degrees and a strong wind. We managed to get off the bground thnaks to a couple of deicing efforts and 10 hours later we arrived in Santiago to a beautiful 30 degrees day. C not F!!

The sky was blue and the flower in bloom, it was liking going through the back of the wardrobe into Narnia, but in reverse. Canada has seemed like perpetual winter. We collected our car and drove to Santa Cruz in the heart if the Colaghua Valley. This is one of the premier Wine producing ares and is the name most often found on the bottles of wine we can buy in Canada. our hotel is a renovated hacienda complete with large shady verandah's overhung with jasmine and bourganvillia. The roses are magnificant and even more evocative for me are the drifts of huge agapantha's both blue and white. A perfect place to sit with a glass of cold wine and forget all about the pressures of the world.

After a long sleep to catch up
Santa CruzSanta CruzSanta Cruz

The Hacienda and Museum
we set off to explore. We know this area well as we spent quite a bit of time here before and knew where we wanted to go back to. We tried some wines and then went to a great restaurant that we loved before and that did not disapoint this time.

We toured a hacienda that was once the summer home of the President of Chile at the turn of the century. It has been kept in an exact condition and is so beautful complete with chapel and gardens.

So now we are back at the hotel. Internet is hit and miss, sometimes it works but mainly it does not. Often just enough to let us read emails but not on long enough to reply. Oh well, no one needs us anyway.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Santa CruzSanta Cruz
Santa Cruz

Finally a chance to try the wine
Santa CruzSanta Cruz
Santa Cruz

A meal, a glass of good wine and a shady verandah. What more can you want.
Santa CruzSanta Cruz
Santa Cruz

The Wineries and grapes are beautiful
Santa CruzSanta Cruz
Santa Cruz

The valley shimmering in the sun
Santa CruzSanta Cruz
Santa Cruz

More wineries


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb