Hola Rio De Janeiro


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Copacabana
October 12th 2006
Published: October 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Maracana StadiumMaracana StadiumMaracana Stadium

Fluminese V San Paulo
After a long 14hr flight into San Paulo then to Rio, Lou and l arrived into a rainy, overcast Rio de Janeiro. The weather maintained, how should l put it, crap (!) for the entire 3 days we were there (as you might be able to tell l was quite gutted about that), nonetheless we had a great few days toughin it through the tropical weather and doing the things we went there to do.

l met up with Belinda and Chelsea on the first evening (friends from Aus that l hadn't seen for a long time who were joining us on the 'Los Loco' tour). So great to see them again. Unfortunately we didn't give them much time to even check in before Lou and l rushed them out of the hotel and into a transfer to go watch San Paulo v Fluminese football match in the Maracana Stadium. The biggest football stadium in the world which use to seat 200,000, now seats 130,000 as there is no standing space. The supporters are non other than nutters! They will kick, scream, shout obscenities, chant nasty's to the players etc... it was a crazy and great atmosphere to be amongst.

The overcast and rainy weather continued while we insisted to visit the statue of Christ Redeemer. The biggest statue of Christ overlooking the entire city of Rio. l'm sure it would have been a breathtaking view but unfortunately we were above the clouds and could only imagine the scenery whilst absorbing the size of the statue. Still, imagination did us wonders whilst we all spoke about the sheer size of Christ overlooking what would be a spectacular panaramic view of the city.

After experiencing a Brizilian night club in the favelas we thought we would check out what the favelas were really like. The tour company 'Be a local' took us to on a tour to the biggest favela in Rio, Rockinas. What an amazing experience. The children of the favelas were so cute, so proud of where they come from and how they live. We were told not to feel sorry for them because, although they may not have the luxuries of the average suburbians they still live in the exact same life style. Walking through the favela we saw drug dealers with armed weapons, (the head poncho of the favela, the biggest drug dealer and ruler of the area, earns no less than US$4 mil per month!). The catch to his kingdom is that he is unable to leave his favela - ever! If he does he would be shot down or arrested within seconds. Surprisingly we didn't feel like we were in a dangerous or threatening area at all, in fact, we felt very safe and the people of the favela were ever so welcoming to us gringos.

l can imagine Rio to be a vibrant and colourful city in summer and most certainly during carnival. In only 3 days, although the weather wasn't very kind to us, we managed to experience Rio de Jeneiro in a manner that will keep me convinced of it's exhilarating reputation.

PS. Unfortunately PC's in Brazil are very old school so photos cannot be uploaded. As soon as l find a PC that has a USB connection that works l will add photos to the journal. Cheers, Nadia





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Brazilian KidBrazilian Kid
Brazilian Kid

Ok, you can have a sweety but only because your so cute..


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb