A secluded and beautiful Island - Ilha Grande


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Ilha Grande
October 20th 2006
Published: October 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Finally a little ray of sunshine after a 2 hour bus journey from Rio to the coast line, a town called Angra, where we waited all day on the port for a ferry to the Island of Ilha Grande.

High mountains, Atlantic rain forest, breath taking beaches with only 3 areas of settlement on the entire island it didn´t take long to realise everyone knows everyone in this place and so long the sun stayed shining we were going to love our time here.

After celebrating Chelsea´s 27th birthday like a local, which saw 2 bottles of Brazils most potent spirit, Cassacha, polished off in just a few hours with some fellow Irish and English travellers, the night ended with some people struggling to find their way back to the hostel and others performing their own version of Brazils Beach Gymnastics!

How better to overcome a hangover than a 3 hour trek to the other side of the Island. Well, some of us were ok, and others soldiered through the walk at their owe pace stopping every 15mins for a gentle reminder of Brazils drink of choice.

The trek destination was to the other side of the
Ilha GrandeIlha GrandeIlha Grande

Beaches along the way to Lopez Mendez
island to one of Brazils most finest beach, Lopez Mendes. It was an moderate level trek to the top of the mountain, it overlooked the crystal clear water surrounding the green forest filled island, stopping along the way to admire some monkeys and 2 other gorgeous beaches. l thought l had seen some beautiful islands and beaches in Thailand, the beaches on this island were perfect. Powdered sand, clear emerald and blue water and no-one around but the life in the forest and us.

We reaches our destination just in time for the clouds to come over (we´re not having a lot of luck with the weather). A little swim and rest while later, William Wallace from the hostel (yes, that is his real name) picked us up in his boat to take us back to where we were staying.

For anyone travelling to Brazil, Ilha Grande is a must. I´ve not seen a more beautiful island like this. However, only go when it is not raining - you won´t be able to swim and poor photos won´t make the trip worth it. There is literally nothing to do on the island but relax on the beach and
Ilha GrandeIlha GrandeIlha Grande

The view from the top of the mountain
absorb the beautiful scenery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Ilha GrandeIlha Grande
Ilha Grande

William Wallace´s dog..ahhh the serenity
Ilha Grande, Chelsea´s birthdayIlha Grande, Chelsea´s birthday
Ilha Grande, Chelsea´s birthday

´yep, another one for me please..´
Lopez Mendez, Ilha GrandeLopez Mendez, Ilha Grande
Lopez Mendez, Ilha Grande

An overcast Lopez Mendez


Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb