Farming is Fun


Advertisement
Oceania
June 13th 2006
Published: June 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It's tuesday (i think). I left Bainbridge Island, WA on June 7th and, after a 5-hour layover in L.A., a man proudly sporting white, Champion ankle socks with his business attire (good for him and his brash disregard for "acceptable" fashion; i approve), a 13-hour flight across the pacific, the sweet smell of over 200 passengers' fermenting body odor comingling, a $4 custard filled donut, and a relatively short flight from Sydney, I finally arrived in Adelaide. I was going to take a picture of my plane for this entry but i thought most of you have probably seen an airplane before. they're really not that exciting. unless they have like a mohawk down the middle and maybe some cloud catchers, and a few gremlins on the wings...having a party. definitely needs an eye patch on the cock pit. cloud surfing ninjas? why not! bet you've never seen THAT before!
so i'm in adelaide...Ahhhhh...3 legs of the trip down, 3 more of the 6-legged, smelly monster that won't just die already, to go. 3 hours to kill before my bus-ferry-bus , 4-hour trip to Kangaroo Island, so i decide to find a cheap watch. 2 hours of wandering through adelaide and every store i can find that SHOULD have cheap watches and i finally find one...in a gag gift store. it'd be great if the watch was an obnoxious gag of some sort, like a flip-open watch that calls you stupid everytime you flip it open, but it's not. it's just a crap watch that already has something rattling around in it. Cool!
I ate some chips and took pictures of a fountain and then caught the bus to the ferry in Cape Jervis where i definitely didn't leave Amy's digital camera under the bus seat where it would be lost forever. Well...maybe "didn't" is the wrong word. i suppose i should say i "did" leave it under the bus seat only to remember it at the last minute, sprint off the ferry to the bus, grab said camera, and high-tail it back to the ferry just as it was about to pull away. heh heh...haaaaa funny story, huh amy? you totally want to lend me lots more stuff.

Ferry rides are boring otherwise.

Moving right along then.

Good news! Bob and Lorraine didn't die straight away from the smell of me and my unshowered-ness!
So now i'm on kangaroo island about 30km (20 miles) from Kingscote--the nearest town. i live in a caravan (RV) next to the house. I eat, shower, and pretty much do everything but sleep, in the house. i get up at 7am--rather i am FORCED AWAKE at 7am by about every single bird on the planet screaming outside my windows, "Get up you lazy turd!" It's good...really, because i go to work at 8am and i don't possess an alarm clock.

Bryan's Day:

First i feed the chucks (chickens, duh). Then i water the 300 million (20-ish) guinea pigs, Tammy the wallaby, and Kairoo the kangaroo. i am in love with kairoo and want to take her home with me. not really what everyone had in mind when they teased me about coming home with a wife, but whatever...i heart Kairoo. after making sure the love of my life has water, i sweep her poop off the walkway. swoon...
then it's off to work with Bob on his huge, 500 acre farm. Sunday we chased cows with his truck (lots of mooing was heard from the cows...and bryan too). Monday we helped put up a "vermine proof" fence for Bob's son-in-law, Tim. i have a sneaky suspicion that the "fence" part is the only truth in the matter. Today we burned branches on Bob's farm, picked up scrap wire, and I mowed a field with a tractor. that's right...i am now a Tractor Operator. eat your hearts out you non-tractor operators!
Monday night there was a full moon out and it was sweet. so i took pictures. see?
the farmland really is beautiful; and i am a huge fan of eucalypt trees. they are the ultimate climbing trees! i'll take better pictures of them, i promise.
Lorraine makes lunch and dinner for Bob and me everyday and it is always delicious. she's fantastic and works very hard. dare i say harder than Bob and i do? i do so dare! and not just because i want to continue to receive sustinance! all in all i am really liking it here; the simple life is just what i needed . plus, as it turns out, tea is essential to all of life's happenings. going to change a tire? have a cuppa tea first. need to reroute your fence line? better mull it over with a cuppa tea first. being attacked by ninjas?
Three Rivers FountainThree Rivers FountainThree Rivers Fountain

Victoria Square, Adelaide
cuppa tea will sort them out. i may just have to adopt this theory.
i should be able to get out and see more of the island in the next couple weeks. so stay tuned for sea lions, penguins, crazy looking rocks, and big, smelly pelicans!

Leave me comments!

Cheers...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Caravan DigsCaravan Digs
Caravan Digs

i sleep here...and wake up freezing.
TammyTammy
Tammy

she's not so friendly...but she's a wallaby
Eucalypt TreeEucalypt Tree
Eucalypt Tree

if i were a koala i'd all encompassingly live here.
Full MoonFull Moon
Full Moon

amy's camera is sweet (thank you!)
Full Moon from the yardFull Moon from the yard
Full Moon from the yard

Amy you are wrong...2.6 aperture makes a huge difference from 5.6. i win


14th June 2006

She's a hottie
Congrats on the lady Stans, you're movin up in the world. How did you get this gig anyway?
14th June 2006

Your girlfriend
She's beautiful!!!! If this is going to be what EVERY blog is like, I can't wait. I'll send you blankets unless I don't have your address and if I don't, then I'll ask you for it and then you'll give it to me and THEN I will send you blankets. love.
14th June 2006

'ow bout a cuppa tea bryan?
I really shouldn't read your stuff while i'm at work. i always end up bursting out laughing and everyone know's i'm not working.
14th June 2006

my camera rocks, lose it and.....i'll cry.
i was not wrong. I didn't say it wouldn't make a huge difference, I said you wouldn't be able to use as many stops as on a 35 millimeter. It only has a few choices when it comes to f stops on my camera, so when you go from 2.6 to 5.6 it's not the same as making that change on a 35 millimeter. Anyway, nice pictures! My camera is way better than yours, please try not to lose it. In fact, tie it around your neck then put a tatoo next to your crappy watch that says "where's amy's camera?" Thanks for the update, this blog thingy is awesome!! You better keep it up the whole time you're down there, that was the deal. Luv u and miss u already!
15th June 2006

some suggestions
your plane could use a clown nose.....maybe some lightning bolts down the side? or, you could use some consomate v's for his teeth......i said CONSOMATE v's! i guess more wings wouldn't be necessary since its already a wing-a-linged dragon. errr, airplane. wish i was there. kind of.
16th June 2006

One who produces many and varried offspring.
Well, you're famous, now. I forwarded this to a couple of online friends and it got posted all over the place! Everyone is laughing, cuz you're hilarious, and you have a few contenders for Kairoo out there, so keep her happy, boy! Love and miss you, By! Mom
16th June 2006

roo!
amazing, bryan, amazing. i'm so completely jealous. and my plane ride back from texas definitely had the cloud-surfing ninjas in tow...except they were the inflateable type that scares off *real* ninjas. go figure. have you boomaranged yet?
18th June 2006

down under
Bryan!! Sounds like you're havin fun! Hope it all works out with Kairoo, I'ld love to meet her. Maybe your kids would have your eyes and her tail. That'd be a knockout. Keep takin more pics, they're pretty cool. Bitchin watch, btw. I wanna hear more about this "simple life"-it sounds intriguing. Look forward to your next blog!!
21st June 2006

Wow...
Wow, I still can't believe you're in Australia. It's so amazing--your pictures are great and I love your journal entries! You really should write for a living. So funny and informative at the same time:) Anyhow, I hope you're having a great time. I am living vicariously through you, you know!
11th July 2006

Uhhh...speechless
Dude I am so completely blown away. It's like I'm there with you. love the watch and the Kairoo...aww, she loves you:)

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb