Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Blogs from Orange
Latest Blogs from Orange
- April 12th 2013 See you later Orange!
by Words: 552 Photos: 4
- January 4th 2013 Road trip to Orange
by Words: 1728 Photos: 23
- December 1st 2012 From the coast to Tamworth, Dubbo and Orange in the country
by Words: 787 Photos: 5
- October 18th 2012 European Flavour :)
by Words: 206 Photos: 0
- October 18th 2012 Finally winter ends!
by Words: 347 Photos: 0
- October 2nd 2012 Quad bikes :)
by Words: 299 Photos: 9
- September 28th 2012 Counting sheep 1..2..3..4....5....6....500
by Words: 794 Photos: 4
- September 20th 2012 My first week in the outback
by Words: 769 Photos: 4
- April 21st 2012 Slow Summer in the Central West
by Words: 900 Photos: 4
- November 1st 2011 Spring in the Central West
by Words: 1146 Photos: 7
- October 23rd 2011 Bunkered In Orange
by Words: 1292 Photos: 14
- July 24th 2011 Blending in with the Kangaroos
by Words: 1580 Photos: 6
- September 6th 2010 An Orange Winter
by Words: 521 Photos: 6
- June 20th 2010 Settling Down Under?
by Words: 904 Photos: 0
- March 22nd 2010 After the gold rush
by Words: 1154 Photos: 27
- March 21st 2010 The world's best cheesecake ... made in Orange!
by Words: 492 Photos: 5
- March 20th 2010 Needle in a haystack
by Words: 1680 Photos: 17
- March 19th 2010 'It's not bloody Bathurst' .... oh yes it is!
by Words: 1209 Photos: 17
- March 18th 2010 Hang on, we're going on a 'Weeeeee' trip!
by Words: 1420 Photos: 25
- March 17th 2010 You were right Zoe, it's not ok to double dip!
by Words: 970 Photos: 2