On the air plane


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami
November 4th 2008
Published: November 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi,
We are on our way!!
Thank you for all, the well wishes on the blog!
And thanks to everyone who came to our bake sale in Canyon yesterday. It was a huge success!
We are on the plane now to Miami where we will stay overnight and leave for Haiti in the morning. I thought this would be a good time to write more about our trip and our team.
I am not using the ‘royal’ we. There are 6 of our 11 person team members on this plane. I hope that everyone on the team will have a chance to write on this travel blog and I can’t speak for them but I can write a little about the team as a whole.
I am sure if you are reading this you are wondering about the people who have taken the time off work, or school and are spending lots of their hard earned money to go to the far reaches of Haiti “The poorest Country in this Hemisphere” to bring medicine, healthcare, education and hope to people who have none.
The short answer is they are people just like you. The one thing we all have in common is that we decided that we wanted to be on this trip and haven’t let anything change our minds. The apparent lack, of money, or time, or resources, or childcare, has not stopped us, it could have, if we had not been resolute in our commitment to the trip, and had good people supporting us. It is the support, of many of you reading this blog that has given us the courage, and love and funds (and childcare) to be able to take the leap of faith and head for Haiti.
The other thing that we all share besides a common desire to help, is being okay with not knowing exactly how, everything is going to play out. We have a plan and medicines, and doctors, nurses, educational materials, soccer balls and willing hands, beyond that we have to show up and see what happens.
As for who we are; Three teenagers, a college student/medical assistant, a Labor and Delivery nurse, a medical secretary, an oral surgeon, dental assistant, a pediatrician, a techie, a medical secretary and me.
Those of us who are parents have, 2, or 3, or 5, or 8 or 10 kids (I may be wrong on some of those numbers, but they are close). We have babies, and preschoolers, We home-school or have kids in high school and/or college.
All of us, who have kids, want to bring them on this, or future, trips. 3 of us have our teens with us.
My son Dylan is on this trip, he is 16 and I am so happy he is with us. We are going to have an amazing adventure, we will remember forever. I know that seeing this part of the world and knowing he can make a difference, will help him to remember what is best about himself (high school sometimes grinds that, self knowledge out of person). He already shares my love for Haiti, and this trip will give him back what he needs right now.
And we will have some fun!

All of us, will be getting back as much as we give, I know that to be true.

I believe for each of us this is the beginning of something big, we all talk about ‘next time’ already.

I will write more about our itinerary in another entry.
annie



Advertisement



Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb