Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Photos from Zihuatanejo
Blogs from Zihuatanejo
Latest Blogs from Zihuatanejo
- March 14th 2013 RVing in Mexico with Raymondo and Marsia - 2013
by Words: 1035 Photos: 76
- September 21st 2012 Western Mainland Mexico (plus some skydiving photos!)
by Words: 3571 Photos: 32
- March 2nd 2012 Zihuatanejo - where the mountains meet the sea
by Words: 190 Photos: 0
- February 17th 2012 RVing in Mexico with Raymondo y Marsia - 2012
by Words: 1319 Photos: 27
- February 16th 2012 Zihuatanajo
by Words: 817 Photos: 23
- July 28th 2011 Mexico - Zihuatenejo
by Words: 771 Photos: 0
- July 18th 2011 Charming Fisherman's Town
by Words: 47 Photos: 37
- September 9th 2010 Isla Ixtapa at Sunset
by Words: 47 Photos: 1
- August 17th 2010 Zihuatanejo and the final week
by Words: 735 Photos: 0
- February 16th 2010 Pacific Dreams
by Words: 1079 Photos: 32
- December 25th 2009 Christmas On The Spirit . . .
by Words: 420 Photos: 18
- December 1st 2009 VIP Movie Viewing and Port Wandering . . .
by Words: 409 Photos: 14
- March 31st 2009 I felt like I was in a Corona commericial.
by Words: 103 Photos: 17
- November 26th 2008 Zihuatanejo & Ixtapa
by Words: 167 Photos: 4
- August 25th 2008 Pacific coast
by Words: 777 Photos: 6
- August 13th 2008 Zee Hwat???
by Words: 1259 Photos: 6
- April 23rd 2008 Zihuatanejo
by Words: 922 Photos: 23
- February 16th 2008 Swimming in the Pacific Again
by Words: 278 Photos: 12
- November 27th 2007 The "Revolutionary Day Parade" in Zihuatanejo
by Words: 334 Photos: 8
- March 16th 2007 "Get Busy Livin´ Or Get Busy Dyin´"
by Words: 773 Photos: 0