Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Blogs from Baja California
Latest Blogs from Baja California
- April 29th 2013 Sea Day
by Words: 149 Photos: 2
- March 27th 2013 Valle de Guadelope, Mexico (Part 2)
by Words: 929 Photos: 45
- March 25th 2013 Ensenada, Mexico
by Words: 328 Photos: 26
- March 22nd 2013 Valle de Guadalupe, Mexico (Part 1)
by Words: 556 Photos: 66
- December 12th 2012 the Revillagigedo Islands, diving south of the Mexican Baja
by Words: 792 Photos: 8
- November 12th 2012 San Francisco to San Diego, November 6-12, 2012
by Words: 558 Photos: 5
- July 7th 2012 Renting a home in San Felipe, Mexico
by Words: 168 Photos: 1
- March 9th 2012 Tijuana III
by Words: 2304 Photos: 58
- March 7th 2012 Tijuana- PART II
by Words: 768 Photos: 60
- March 6th 2012 Tijuana- Burning Sun, Tall Hills, fresh Ceviche, and Donkey Shows.
by Words: 711 Photos: 38
- January 14th 2012 Vacationing in San Felipe
by Words: 240 Photos: 0
- October 1st 2011 At sea
by Words: 107 Photos: 0
- August 10th 2011 Hola, Ensenada!
by Words: 1144 Photos: 21
- August 10th 2011 Lovely Lola & Me!
by Words: 1063 Photos: 6
- February 15th 2011 Tijuana to San Quintin
by Words: 343 Photos: 13
- February 15th 2011 San Quientin
by Words: 331 Photos: 0
- January 18th 2011 The Path of Travelers
by Words: 1660 Photos: 2
- January 18th 2011 Perros Del Mar!
by Words: 254 Photos: 0
- January 17th 2011 Jan 17th: Bahia Magdalena
by Words: 866 Photos: 6
- December 13th 2010 Alto!
by Words: 466 Photos: 0