Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Blogs from Tijuana
Latest Blogs from Tijuana
- August 15th 2012 Mexico, beer & tequila (or tipsy tuesday in tijuana with tacos & tequila)
by Words: 2459 Photos: 0
- March 7th 2012 Tijuana- PART II
by Words: 768 Photos: 60
- March 6th 2012 Tijuana- Burning Sun, Tall Hills, fresh Ceviche, and Donkey Shows.
by Words: 711 Photos: 38
- December 13th 2010 Alto!
by Words: 466 Photos: 0
- June 11th 2010 Esperanza 20th Anniversary
by Words: 93 Photos: 3
- May 23rd 2010 heading S of the border - down Mexico way
by Words: 776 Photos: 11
- May 16th 2010 When you run an item across the scanner at the grocery store, what are you voting for?
by Words: 196 Photos: 0
- May 6th 2010 Mexico here we come!
by Words: 307 Photos: 0
- April 23rd 2010 A Day in the Life
by Words: 252 Photos: 2
- April 7th 2010 Easter Sunday
by Words: 368 Photos: 2
- April 2nd 2010 Via Crucis (The Way of the Cross)
by Words: 220 Photos: 0
- March 11th 2010 Casa Migrante (Migrant House)
by Words: 1304 Photos: 2
- February 18th 2010 First Groups
by Words: 197 Photos: 3
- February 2nd 2010 Working with Esperanza
by Words: 723 Photos: 3
- July 24th 2009 Tijuana
by Words: 435 Photos: 0
- July 14th 2009 Baja, Mexico
by Words: 100 Photos: 7
- May 22nd 2009 Mexico, here we come!
by Words: 311 Photos: 10
- March 30th 2009 Tijuana, Mexico
by Words: 6 Photos: 9
- February 24th 2009 Tijuana - Mexique
by Words: 250 Photos: 14
- January 12th 2009 Once Upon A Time In Mexico.....
by Words: 3083 Photos: 51