Another Brick In The Wall


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Baja California » Ensenada
May 9th 2018
Published: May 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post


US Mexico border
We’ve crossed over the US Mexico border at Tijuana. Going this way was surprisingly easy – no exit formalities from the US just a one way turnstile to walk through and no queues for Mexican immigration. We end up with a 6 month Mexican visa, but only expect to spend 2-3 weeks here on our way through to Central America. From the Mexican highway we have a good view of the border fence and it is fairly substantial. It’s not a wall, but it looks like it would keep most people out, so I’m not exactly sure why Donald wants to build a “wall” here.

We’ve chosen Ensenada as our first stop in Mexico. This isn’t because it’s a great place but it is a convenient distance south in Baja and we had no great desire to hang around in Tijuana, though I’m sure the town does have attractions. Fortunately there is a very convenient and comfortable coach from right by the border direct to Ensenada so we’re settling into our apartment in downtown Ensenada by late afternoon.

Ensenada is an Ok place, even if it doesn’t have a huge number of attractions, but it does have good Mexican

Old hotel/casino
food, cheap beer and very pleasant weather. At the moment it is low season so most of the visitors here seem to be Mexican but generally the town caters for Americans on a short break south of the border. The town centre is therefore well stocked with bars and cheap pharmacies where you can buy prescription drugs over the counter at discount prices. While waiting for our bus we find a local wine merchant and the Revolutionary Park which has busts of notable Mexican revolutionaries. I suspect we’ll find this a common theme in many Mexican cities.

There are however a couple of sights as well as a huge Mexican flag on the promenade. The LP comments that it is large enough to be visible from space and it is huge. On our first evening we see it being lowered at sunset which needs about 40 army soldiers to carry it off before it is loaded up and driven away in an army truck. I don’t have my camera with me so miss getting any pictures and unfortunately the flag does not re-appear for the next 2 days.

The sights are an old hotel/casino built in the 30’s

Hussong's cantina
and in its heyday frequented by the rich and famous and Hussong’s Cantina, one of the oldest bars in town which claims to have invented the margarita, though everyone there now seems to drink beer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Ensenada main street


Revolutionary park


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb