Dubai Paris Switzerland Venice Rome England Scotland Wales


Advertisement
Europe
June 2nd 2012
Published: June 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

DubaiDubaiDubai

Burja Al Arab

England, Wales,Scotland,Paris,Switzerland,Venice,& Rome



31st March 2009: I arrived at Diana's place 10am I was staying at her place for the night before we want to Penrith to pick Rani up.
It was raining and it was very heavy I thought it was never going to stop.
I checked Di's bags for weight I was surprised we were both under, we took a break and went up to see Judy & Don my cousin's just to get out of the house for awhile.
On our way home we grabbed some dinner and went of to bed early as we had a big day.

1st April 2009 we got up and headed of to Penrith to pick up Rani we arrived back at Di's we weighed Rani's bag and on my scales she was 7 kilos over weight so we had to get her to check her bags and see what she wanted to take out as I didn't want any hic-ups on the start of or journey.
Di's Daughter came and picked us up and dropped us at the airport.We arrived there at 2pm I know it was early but we just wanted to relax, so we had some lunch and got
DubaiDubaiDubai

Jumarah Mosque
down to some serious reading on Dubai our first stop.
4pm we all got into line to book our bags in, we didn't have any trouble even though Rani was still 1.7 k over.

We went out the back through customs Di had some water and we had to try and get rid of it before we went through,We had a look around I called England to let them know we were on our way Rang my mum and friends to say good-bye.

So we found the nearest Bar and we sat down and had a Bottle of Red wine and some nibbles. and talked on what we were going to do first in Dubai.
We were ready to board our flight I must say we were all very excited. This was my first long trip without my husband I must say I was scared but very excited.
We were in the air for about an hour and Dinner was served I had got mine pre planned I had fruit all the way. Di & Rani had on the first part Roast Beef. cheesecake for dessert and a bottle of white 2nd April 2009: We arrived in Bangkok
DubaiDubaiDubai

Taxi
airport 12.30 well that was fun, they said that we could get of the plane to stretch our legs but if we wanted to go we had to take our belongings with us, Our travel agent had advised us to get off so we took his advice and of we hopped, well to get back to our plane we had to go through customs again this our travel agent did not tell us, this took some considerable time to do.
When I thought we were through Di got stopped opps she forgot to take her keys out of her pocket. We had to have a laugh about that.As we had just said we hope we dont get stopped here.
We then had to wait on all the other passengers to get on board before we could get on.
We then got on our way leaving Bangkok at 2am.
We arrived in Dubai 6.10am nwe got through customs by 7.15am .
We were met by Arabian Tours and driven to our Hotel. After settling in we went to have breakfast which was complementary at the Hotel each day.
While the girls were finishing breakfast I had an appointment with our tour
DubaiDubaiDubai

London
guide to find out what we were doing for the next 3 days.wine.
2nd April 2009 Well we started packing some of our stuff away, and I just had to break my toe thank God Rani was a nurse but that was not stopping me fixed it all up and we set of on our first look around.
We went on a Merchants tour, Our stops were Burj Al Arab wow what a place, we were going to get a closer look in there as we have dinner resevations in the underwater restaurant.
Went to see the Jumeirah Mosque wow what a place we were lucky enough to get in and have a look.
Dubai Museum great place but the smell was a little over powering.
Seen the Emirates Towers,Burj Dubai its the tallest building they call the Pencil building Burj Khalifa is what they called it when it was opened,Standing over 828 meters tall.
We had a look at the world trade centre, late in the day we went to see the Gold Souks we all hopped on a Abra on the Dubai creek.
We arrived at the souks went into the spice one first and the people that
ParisParisParis

Eiffel Tower
know me know I don't like those smells but I put up with it and followed my companions in.
We then got to the Gold Souks wow what a sight, all around on the outside were these very old men waiting on Boxes with mobiles in hand never found out why.
You can see that men dominate this area, we were told to tell these people no and keep walking but some were very persistent.But I loved the place, can't wait to go back.
in the Abra we were told they make about 17,500 crossings a day.
We seen this very official car going past and we were told it was His Highness Shaikh Khalifi Bin zoyed Al Nyhui sorry not sure if that is the way it is spelt but I was impressed.
I was so glad to get back to the hotel at this time 10pm at night I was ready to go to sleep not having slept for 38hrs
3rd April 2009: We were up early had breakfast, we all picked up a few extras for the days munchies, I had to go down to the lobby and I met this nice man in the Lift Hamiel see girls I was meeting a few nice people as you all told me I had to do.
So for the morning we set of on a bit of a walk didn't know where we were going I had a kilometer reader on and we walked 7k that morning.
In the after noon after lunch we came back to the hotel for a rest before our Dessert Safari, Our Driver Arlia (nice man girls), was great We hopped into this great big 4 wheel drive and we headed of to another hotel and we picked up 2 more to our surprise one was an Aussie Stuart and his English girlfriend Charlie.
We all had a fantastic time.
A must for everyone who is visiting Dubai. A memory to share with your friends back home, This is one safari you cant do in Australia. I recommend it highly and it will be worth every penny spent.
This tour goes across the desert of Dubai with several photo-stops during an exciting dune drive to our first destination a camel farm. The drive continues across the desert. We stop to watch the beautiful sunset before reaching our campsite where you have the opportunity
ParisParisParis

Di & I having some fun
to do a camel ride and try out a henna design on hand or feet. After working up an appetite enjoy a delicious barbecue dinner and shisha (the famous Arabic water pipe). Watch belly dancer performing her show around the campfire by starlight.Before returning to Dubai.
Here we met a few more Aussies.
On this day we were doing a lot of laughing and a lot of Aussie jokes I think our driver was a bit baffled but he joined in with us when he didn't understand he told us and we tried to explain but it was lost so he said for that we go down big hill, so we all tried to keep him in the dark as we liked going down the big hills.
Arleia is from Pakistan He was telling us that they stay there for 3 years then they have to go home for for 1 month before they can come back to work. He told us that this was his job but what a great job to have as it was like playing all day.
We were telling him that we thought that Dubai had a bad pollution but he said it was from
ParisParisParis

just as the lights went on
the sea air.
Gee what a great day we had.
4th April 2009: Today was our last full day in Dubai we were having a ball we decided to go on the hop on hop off bus as it was a little overcast but we had a blast driving around seeing things up close, I was amazed at all the cranes in Dubai.
We all walked our feet of we did 23k in 4days no wonder Diana's back was a bit sore.
We got home and had dinner and we were all very tired.
About 1am in the morning I heard this noise it was Rani she was up having a shower I tried to get back of to sleep about 3am I could here this scratching around like a hen in a chicken coup it was Rani I got up went to bathroom and told her to be quite.
Di asked me what she was doing and I told her, at 5am Di got up and told her to get to bed we found out she was worried so up we all got got some tea up to the room and sat and talked through everything, as I was
SwitzerlandSwitzerlandSwitzerland

first time I had touched snow we were in Zermatt
the one that had everything organised I went through it before I had finished she was asleep Di & I looked at each other we started banging things and told her she was not going to sleep now. We just fell in a heap laughing.
We went and had breakfast at 8.30am we just lingered there got back to our rooms finished packing and checking that we had everything a bell hop came up and got our bags. We sat down stairs till our driver turned up.The Ascot Hotel was a great place to stop the only down fall it was to far away from the main part of town.Over all the staff were fantastic.
We all had a great time in Dubai the Desert Safari was spectacular.
We arrived at Dubai airport we had a bit of time to look around, we were gob smacked I have never seen an airport like it.
We were on our plane and of to Birmingham We arrived at Birmingham at 6.30pm instead of 7.30pm, but Louise & Mark were there waiting for us. Rani went of with her family we didn't see here again till after Easter.I introduced Di to my family she had never met them even though Di and I are
6th April 2009: Monday morning was a little overcast but hey we are on hols and we don't care, we were heading of to Wales today, as Mark & Louise were renovating there Kitchen so Louise children Di & I were of on an adventure, Louise took us to Symonds Yat in Herefordshire.Symonds Yat, is on a 5 mile bend of the River Wye with great views, Symonds Yat Rock is a wooded limestone outcrop where the river loops around,Symonds Yat is a village divided into East and West by the River Wye. The only direct connection between the two is a hand pulled ferry by which the ferryman pulls people across the river using an overhead rope for a small charge..
We headed of to Cardiff stopped at Mark & Spencer's for lunch amazed had chicken Ceaser salad coffee and a cake for 8 pounds.Late in the afternoon we arrived at the Vales Hotel The Vales is 20min from Cardiff and it is a dream, it was a great place to relax Dinner that night I had Sea Bass British Cheese & Lava Biscuits and red wine.
The next day we went to Tenby,

Tenby is one of Britain's most attractive holiday resorts. Surrounded by a 13th century wall, this unique Victorian town has escaped modernisation. The narrow cobbled streets with a variety of shops, pubs, the picturesque harbour. Tenby is without doubt one of the most popular resorts in Wales.
Then we went to Saundersfoot this used to be a small fishing village.
Pembrokeshire we stopped and had lunch the fish and chips were to die for.
We got back to the hotel late afternoon went swimming with the children. Cousins.
Went down and had a great breakfast and we headed into Cardiff for the day, we let Lousie go of and do what she had to do , while Di & I headed of to explore we came up to Cardiff Castle,Cardiff Castle is one of Wales' leading heritage attractions and a site of international significance. Located at the heart of Cardiff, within beautiful parklands, the Castle's walls and fairytale towers conceal 2,000 years of history. We had a great time and after a while it was time to catch up with Louise we headed down to Cardiff Bay we had lunch in a Pizza place Harry's favorite, then we went for a stroll around the Bay we came across a Norwegian Sailors Church,The Port of Cardiff was one of the first to have a Norwegian Sailor’s Church established to provide religious and social care to thousands of Norwegian sailors that were employed in the Norwegian merchant fleet. The Church was founded by Herman Lunde of Oslo and built in 1868 between the East and West Docks,Without maintenance the building fell into dis-repair and was vandalized. To avoid total destruction when the development of Atlantic Wharf was being undertaken the Church was carefully dismantled in 1987 by The Norwegian Church Preservation Trust.The Church was re-opened by Princess Martha Louise of Norway on the 8th of April 1992.
After a long walk we headed back to the car for a drive back to The Vales and went for a relaxing swim.
9th April 2009 after stopping at the shop to pick up Marks brains and welsh cakes ( Beer & Biscuits)we headed back to Brixworth.
We had a lazy day and I took Di for a walk around the Village to see All Saints' Church, here in Brixworth The date of the construction of All Saints' Church, Brixworth is unclear;It is also the largest structure to survive from those early years although it is thought that a Viking attack destroyed the side aisles in AD 870. it is a beautiful church and I love going there each time I go England.
Di and I just Meandered through the village found the Pub Coach & Horses what a little beauty. we had a spot of lunch not knowing that we were going there for dinner.
10th April 2009: We headed of to David & Elizabeth's for Easter, met up with Jullian & Joanna and there friends from Milan Italy.
As usual Elizabeth had this feast food food and more food plenty of wine and great company and a lot of stories Di & I had a great night.

11th April Elizabeth and David took us up the town while David and Mark did the shopping Elizabeth took us around the town we went to her church first and met her friend Margret they were setting up for Easter,
St. Michael’s is the church at the centre of Bishop’s Stortford. Its spire is visible from far and wide. There has probably been a church on this site
VeniceVeniceVenice

St Marks Square
since the seventh century, but the church as seen today was largely built in the early 1400’s.
Later that Day Mark took us out to Audley's End Audley End takes its name from Sir Thomas Audley, Henry VIII's Lord Chancellor,Charles II bought Audley End in 1668 as a base for attending Newmarket races. The stunning pastoral parkland are a great place to walk around in.
Every great house has a great hall and Audley End is no exception. Look for the ornate carving on the wooden screen - used to hide the servants from the gentry. The Great Hall dates from the building of the house in the early 17th century and rises through two storeys. Look for the ornate carving on the Jacobean oak screen carved with grotesque masks and pairs of male and female half figures. The screen used to hide the servants from their masters.
W12th April 2009 Easter Sunday, what a great morning Mark was out setting up the Easter hunt for the children the large house was full of family breakfast cooking the smells were wonderful, after the Easter hunt and Breakfast Mark took us to Saffron Waldon where he grew up as a child I met up with Paul & Joanne who I had not seen for 8 years it was great to catch up with them. Mark took us to his cricket ground and Harry & I had a little Football game.
When we went back to the Earls for a late lunch and we were still at the dinner table when dinner came around so we just added more things like this big or should I say huge salmon that David cooked, we drank and ate all night.
On the Monday Mark & Louise headed home and would be back at the end of the week to pick us up we stayed at Stortford and had a ball of a time.
We visited places like Finchingfield.Finchingfield is a village in Essex that is 8 miles North of Great Dunmow. Ah Dunmow that is where I bought my beautiful bag Oh my friend Tully would have loved it. Back to Finchingfield what a quaint place we had Devonshire tea there. what a beautiful place.e had a great day.
14th April 2009; Di & I headed up to Birmingham to pick up our Car rental so we took the day and wandered around Warwick & Coventry for the day went to Tesco's and bought food for our journey to Scotland.
15th April 2009: we drove to Long Buckby to pick up Rani and we set off our first night stop was york, We were staying at The Georgian B&B owned by George & Steve a great place they were restoring it. We had a walk in the town and at the end of the day I had to take the girls to my favorite pub in York The Exhibition Hotel we had a great night and a great feed.
5th April 2009 My Travel to York it was great to be back here my last trip here in 2001.This was a time to show my cousin Di one of my favorite places in England.To see the Minster again what a brilliant Church just walking in the streets on the cobble stones.
Jorvik:discoveries of modern archaeology.This is a must see sorry to say we did not do that this time as Di has this fear of smells

Clifford Castle: stands as a proud symbol of the power of England's medieval kings. Originally built by William the Conqueror to subdue the rebels of the north,
RomeRomeRome

Our first look at the Colosseum
it was twice burned to the ground, before being rebuilt by Henry III in the 13th century. The tower takes its name from one grisly incident in its long history, when Roger de Clifford was executed for treason against Edward II and hanged in chains from the tower walls. With sweeping panoramic views of York and the surrounding countryside, it isn't hard to see why Clifford's Tower played such a crucial role in the control of northern England.
Our 3 days in york was great
17th April 2009: We set of early after breakfast to Edinburgh this is a place that I missed in 2001 so this time I just had to go.we visited the Edinburgh Castle what a place we spent most of the day there.Edinburgh Castle dominates the city of Edinburgh like no other castle in Scotland,Over one thousand years of history sit on top of the famous Edinburgh rock,
Britannia It was an amazing day out from start to finish which we all thoroughly enjoyed. It was a stunning ship.
18th April 2009 we decided to work the streets and see what we could see and buy some souvenirs,We were walking down the main street stopped to
RomeRomeRome

Trevi Fountain
watch a bagpiper play then we seen this store and there were these kilts hung up me being me here I am having a look up them Di took my picture we had a great laugh.at the engd of the day we went and had a pizza around the corner. and we all had an early night as we were heading of early for Loch Ness.
19th April 2009: Well this was Di's big day I knew it would be a bit hard for her as this was her 1st birthday with out Ron but I had planned a great day for her. Her daughter and son rang from Australia then we went and had breakfast, and we headed out of town towards Drumnadrochit in Loch Ness we were going to be staying at the Loch Ness Hotel. We went through towns call Perth Pitlochry,Loch Laggan Loch Lotchy Fort Augustus it was a beautiful day the sun was shinning when we got close we arrived at a place that I had been waiting on Urquhart Castle.well it was mind boggling beautiful.
The impressive ruin of Urquhart Castle sits on a rocky promontory with commanding views along Loch Ness. One of
RomeRomeRome

Spanish Steps
the largest of all Scottish castles, Urquhart has seen many battles and sieges throughout its 500-year history as a medieval fortress. Evidence of the siting of some kind of fortified residence on the promontory goes back to Pictish times during a missionary visit by St Columba about AD 580. The holy man called at the home in Glen Urquhart of an elderly noble Pict named Emchath and converted him and his household to Christianity.

The first record of a castle at Urquhart comes more than 600 years after Columba’s visit. By the year 1250 Alan Durward was lord of Urquhart. As brother-in-law of King Alexander III, Alan was one of the most influential men in Scotland, widely recognised as the power behind the throne. The stronghold that Alan established at Urquhart continued to be of strategic importance throughout the Wars of Independence with England sparked by the untimely death of Alexander III.
Urquhart consequently passed into Crown hands, and in 1476 was held by the Earl of Huntly.Keepership was passed to John Grant by James IV in 1509. After the death of James IV in 1513, at Flodden, the castle was taken by the MacDonald's of Lochalsh, but returned
RomeRomeRome

Vatican City
to the Crown in 1516.

In 1545 the MacDonald's and their allies the Cameron's of Lochiel, took the castle, and burned Glen Urquhart's homesteads to the ground. The castle was plundered and badly damaged by the Covenanter's in 1644, but underwent repairs to the cost of 200 merks in 1676.

In 1689, a whig garrison held out for 2 years against the Jacobites.

To prevent it being used as a Jacobite base, Urquhart was blown up in 1691.

By 1708, it was being used as the local quarry.
After staying most of the day here we headed to our hotel for Dis big surprise.
We had a big birthday bash with Cake and all I think we all headed to our room with a hangover.
Over the next few days we went the Isle Skye.No visit to Skye & Lochalsh would be complete without a visit to Eilean Donan Castle what a beautiful site. pity we had a bad day on the weather.
Our trip we seen the snow on the mountains while down in York we went to Whitby and a lot of other small places I picked up a mug at the store owned
RomeRomeRome

Di & I in the Colosseum
by Laurence Llewellyn Bowen which I a20tApril 2009 We are heading Back to Brixworth We had 2 more stops one at North Berwick what a quaint town but I thought that I had made a mistake in this place to stay, but you should never judge a book by its cover.We pulled up in town we were looking for our next B&B which I could not find, I went into a store to ask and he told me it was above the bank across the road, I walked out and went oh my God, I said to the girls you stay with the car and I will see what this is like. I opened the door and held my breath it looked terrible but I persisted and went on up the stairs this lady opened the door with the friendliest smile and said you must be Kerry come on in I walked in and I was amazed the place was pronominal.Francis was fabulous.
I said I would get the girls but where would I park the car.She just came down with me told the girls to head up the stairs hopped in the scar with me and drove me around
WalesWalesWales

Tenby
the back. we unpacked the car and then she moved her car and I parked there.We had dinner in The Ship Inn, the man in there had long grey hair glasses hawain shirt jacket shorts & army boots he was loud but funny they girls tried Haggis YUK.What a great night we had we sat up and chatted with this lady most of the night. the next day we headed to Richmond what another wonderful placeFrenchgage owed by Freda & Ray. We also stayed in a great place up in the loft and the breakfast room was all glass and looked out over the town. We stayed there 2 nights the funnist thing there was a pub and outside the doors it said pub closed no chef we found out that the place was closed by health inspectors.
We headed back home dropped Rani of at Long Buckby then headed home till it was time to go to Birmingham to take car back and to meet up with Mark. While at the airport something was going an as police were everywhere with Machine guns.
21st to 23rd April 2009 was a catch up for us and to get all our
ScotlandScotlandScotland

Edinburgh Castle
washing done for our next trip We did do a few bus trips into Northampton and its surrounds in Northampton Di bought this lovely little suit at the Markets we picked up a few bits and pieces.
So on the 24th Di and I set of for our trip to London It was our treat we were staying at the Dorchester Hotel luxury plus. Rani was meeting us later that day as we were having Afternoon tea at 3.30. Di and I arrived early at the hotel about 11am but we just wanted to leave our bags there till we could book in. This is something out travel agent friend fixed for us and we knew to expect something. So when I asked to leave our bags the lady looked up our booking and said "your rooms not ready yet please except our apologies and I will take you down to the bar and we will give you lunch and drinks on the house.
So for an hour we were waited on. then they came and got us and gave us the key and said our luggage was in the room so when we were finished please feel free to
ScotlandScotlandScotland

Di & I in Edinburgh Castle
go to your room.
Well of we went up to the 6th floor we were told the further up you went the posher it got. We arrived at the elevator and this man pushed us back. please step back you cant use this lift yet, me being me said jumped at him and said don't you push me who the hell do you think you are.Well who he was was the Sheikhs bodyguard oops, I did it again. Oh well but the very refined gentleman said something to the man and he apologized.This beautiful ladies all dipped the eyes and nodded.
We went up and walked into our room WOW what a beautiful room we had to big 3/4 beds plus a trundle that was for Rani, Di & I were stunned there was Champagne chocolates fruit everywhere, on the the champagne was a note saying thank you for your patience please enjoy your room. I am not gobsmacked that often this was one of those times.the bathroom we had to measure it it was 2foot deep later that night I had to try it out.
Rani arrived and we all got changed and all dressed up, ready for our
ScotlandScotlandScotland

Yacht Britannia
afternoon tea.
So off we went on our airs and graces for afternoon tea what a time our waiter was waiting for us showed us to our table with pink champagne and this beautiful chicken dish then sandwiches and these beautiful cakes.
After about an hour I noticed that these ladies were looking at us they were the ladies from the lift. A gentleman came over with a bottle of Champagne for us compliments of the Sheikhs family with there apologies.
We thanked them and nodded our apreciation.
We started to talk to this lady that was on her own she said that she was running a breakfast room in Surrey Kent and that at the moment Russell Crowe was there making the movie Robin Hood, well that is another story.
So we ended up going upstairs changing we had to walk of some of this champagne our heads were spinning. We had a 2 day pass for the hop on hop off bus so we hopped on and went around the city to see what we wanted to see the next day. We got back to the hotel about 7pm had some dinner and I went down and bought
ScotlandScotlandScotland

Urquhart Castle
some cheese and biscuits with fruit. well that was a shock for 3 it cost me 120pounds.oh well its once in a life time.
Soak in the tub a delight sat on the bed looked like Rocky in my robe we had a great night few more drinks a lot of laughs and then of to bed as it was an early rise in the morning.
25th April 20009 Anzac Day in England 4am. We got up dresses in our Aussie shirts hats flag and I had my Dad's medals we went to Speakers Corner to the Australian & New Zealand war memorial for the Dawn service, to shocked again the people was unbelievable there were thousands.We got our way down to the front and it was very moving for me to be here for my father all I could do was cry.
There was a photographer there and he took a lot of pictures found out later that Di and I were in the papers and in the ANZAC magazine in Australia.
So after the service we went and had breakfast and came back to our room to pack up,we asked to leave our bags there for the day. We had to be at Westminster Abbey at 10am to March and then we had a service in Westminster Abbey its self.We met a lot of people, one man we met he was an Australian Soldier and had married and English girl so he joined the English army but was marching for us, he had just done a tour or Irac and was talking about how bad it was.
The streets were laden with Aussie flags.It was great to see.
So Rani had to head of home and we said we would meet up next week be for we head of to Europe.
Di and I wandered around the city and got on the hop on hop of bus and started to explore walked through hide park headed back to pick up our bags and got on a train back to Long Buckby where Louise picked us up.
The 26th April to 1st May 2009 Di and I traveled around the countryside.Our first Day trip was to Bath It was a very cold day but we did have fun as I missed the trip to Bath in 2001 so It was great to see the old Roman baths Abbey Baths,Pulteney Bridge, together with the Ponte Vecchio in Florence,Built for William Pulteney by Robert Adams, the bridge was an attempt to connect central Bath to land on the other bank of the River Avon and make Pulteney's fortune.Jane Austen place was amazing.At the end of the day it was so cold and we went to Garfunkel's and had this amazing hot chocolate.then we strolled down to the train station.
Well today 1st May 2009 we are of on our adventure of Europe Its funny 3 old grannies our ages running from 58 to 64 me being the baby of the group.And to top it of we were kind of backpacking it.
We stayed in London the 1st night we stayed at the Crestwood Hotel never ever again what a horrid place.But it was close to Kings Cross station. And tonight we were of to Rules this fabulous restaurant in Maiden Lane Covent Garden Rules was established by Thomas Rule in 1798 making it the oldest restaurant in London. It serves traditional British food, specialising in classic game cookery, pies and puddings. We went there because we seen a advertisement in a Seniors magazine in Australia for there Yorkshire puddings Apple crumble
ScotlandScotlandScotland

Loch Ness Drumnadrochit
and custard and Cropwell Bishop Stilton Cheese what a night, the waiter was terrific again girls another photo shoot of a me and a man.lol.
So after a great meal we walked around Covert Garden for a few hours and then headed back to the Hotel.Im sure the place had bed bugs yuk I was awake most of the night. and the shower was in the toilet yuk.could not wait to get out of there.
had breakfast and then left.
Went down to St Pancras International train station to wait for our train to Paris.I remember the first time I went to Paris the train station was very old this new one was beautiful.
I had to laugh I was always saying to the girls now be careful don't do this watch out for this, only once did Di get us hung up and that was in Bangkok but it seemed that I was always the target, at the station we had just gone through customs and it was my bag that went through twice it was okay but I then had gone to the bank and I had 400Euros in my bag and a sniffer dog stopped me and
YorkYorkYork

just loved the picture it was for a cafe
the police took me aside and asked if I had a lot of money I said if you think 400 euros is a lot well yes, I just went to the efpos and got it out, the police man said that is okay the dog picked up the smell. We had a good laugh over it.
So then waiting on the train to arrive Rani wants to go up the stairs and this policeman says to me you cant go there. oops again I was going anywhere she was.
in trouble again.Okay ladies that is it sit don't move till we get the okay to get on the train.
Well our train arrived on on we got Paris here we come, 3 hours later we were in Paris. hopped on another train to get us to the Lourve we were staying in this quainte B&B at the back of the Lourve we stayed at Hotel Relais Du opposite Église Saint-Germain-l'Auxerrois.
Oh how I love Paris, Eiffel Tower,Louvre Museum,Notre Dame Cathedral,Seine River,the Arc de Triomphe, the Champs-Elysees, the Place de la Concorde Square,What more could you ask for, I had to laugh I said to Di your going up the Eiffel
LondonLondonLondon

Di & I at Rules Restaurant
tower she was saying no cant do that, but I got her up there and she loved it admittedly she did not go near the edge but she went up.
Our Hotel so petite our walls bedspreads were all the same floral arrangements.the little lift reminded me of Thoroughly Modern Millie the musical when they tap danced in the lift to get it to go, every time Di & I got on we started to tap and sing they thought we were mad I am sure.
Breakfast was brought up every morning fresh juice croissants and pastries we ended up wrapping some of it up and taking with us for morning tea. When I was there 9 years ago I stayed at the Timotel and there was a great place to eat there so I took the girls there Louise's was the place. had a great dinner another photo shoot with a man girls. Our 3 days in Paris was wonderful but tomorrow we were heading to Switzerland
6th May 2009: We had to be up early to catch a train to Ga Du Lyon of we headed going through the French country side we traveled through Troyes Dijon Lausanne
EnglandEnglandEngland

Ordley House
where we changed trains to head to Zermatt we went through Montreux,Visp We arrived at Zematt
It is on the Italian border of the canton of Valais in the west of Switzerland, at the end of the 30 km-long Nikolaital, lies Zermatt, the village at the foot of the Matterhorn, what beauty this was the part of the trip that Di wanted to see an hour and a half ride through the rugged and romantic Nicolaital valley.We arrived in Zermatt breath taking views. we spent a night there. In the morning we went on the Glazier Express train we seen refreshing mountain lakes, quaint hamlets and seductive vineyards. it was indescribably beautiful.
The Matterhorn, the mountain of all mountains. The Dom, at 4545 metres, the highest mountain you can see for miles.
I could go on and on about this beautiful trip.
We arrived after 8hours on the train to St Moritz for our nights stay we walked around but we were on the outskirts and there was not much to see was a little disapointing.But we did have a great view of the snow capped mountains.
So in the morning we got our taxi and headed to the train station we decided to get the early train, we were so lucky as we were the only ones on the train and this nice young Guard kept coming in and telling us what side of the train to look out for the best views, yes another photo shoot girls.
Now the Glacier train was great we asked Di out of ten what she thought she said 15 well it was but this trip down the mountain to Tirano well it was breath taking we were darting from one side of the train to the other,going through places like Alp Grum,Cavagilia,Poshiavo,Brusio campocologno and then into Tirano right through the middle of the town we hoped of that train and had to go to the Italian trains to head of to Venice
8th May 2009: Arrived at Tirano at 10.15am We went straight to the Italian train from the Swiss one to make sure we knew where we had to catch our train from.
Then we wnt out and had a look in the Piazza I found a thimble and some post cards.
After taking some pictures we headed back to the station to catch our train to Venice.
Our first train was to Milan, the train arrived at 11am and we arrived in Milan at 2pm, We decided to have a bit of a snooze as we had been on the go early Di was first asleep Rani I was surprised as she was normally the first to sleep, Me I was to busy taking pictures and looking out at everything. The scenery was beautiful, as this part of the trip was mine all I wanted to see was Venice and Rome.
When we arrived at Milan it was so daunting it was a massive place, and of course the language barrier was a little problem but hey we are in there country we have to adapt.After a few minutes I realized that we had to go to 19.5 plat form Well we were at 19 so where the hell is 19.5 we looked and looked after about 20min I noticed that people were walking way up the other end of the platform I thought ah its a Harry Potter station, so I said come on girls we are going to have to hurry as I train is way up there, we only had a few minutes to catch our train, So of we go we had to start running to make it, I went to throw out a bottle that I had and with my back pack on over I went yep I hurt but yelled at the girls keep going I will catch up. I did but when I got on the train I was sore at lease I had a few hours to rest. Me and the law had another run in LOL there was these people selling water on the train we didn't know you couldn't buy from them and I really wanted some water. I said I wanted one and this man came up yep he was cute about 50ish well dressed spoke English with this Italian accent, excuse me but you no buy from this man it is bad you might get sick we no want that , I went to say something and he pulled out his badge and said I am Policia on holiday no do real people be along soon for you.We looked at each other yep I was in trouble again.
So now we were of to Venice.
8th May 2009: We arrived in Venice We did as Barry said and got on the bus to take us to the hotel we spoke with the driver and he said I will tell you when to get of, well and hour later we were still on the bus he says oops scusie I forgot so 2hrs later we arrived at our destination, the lady at the desk said we only have to walk about 300mt down the road and onto a train and we will be in Venice, if we had known we would have been able to get to our B&B in 20min.Oh well it was fun.
SO we settled into the B&B and then went for a walk to see where we could have dinner.
we found this place not a lot of people in there but plenty of caricature So we went in this man offered us a seat in the restaurant section and brought over menu and Vino he says free to you ladies, well the we let him pick the meal and I must say was wonderful, then some other people turned up and there was singing and dancing this went on all night we had a great time I think the vino got to us a little as we decided to to teach them the song of Home amongst the gum trees with all the actions.
around 2am we decided it was time to head home which was just around the corner thank god.
Rani was so funny as she didn't know the song either and she was doing it all the way home and Di and I just cracked up.

9th May 2009: We headed down to the train station to go into Venice, We had a slow start Di was a little slow starting but eventually we got moving I knew I was going to have to push them over the next few days so we could see everything.
We got of that train and had our first look at Venice,
Ponte di Rialto (Rialto Bridge)The current structure was built in just three years, between 1588 and 1591.

The Piazza San Marco, or St. Mark's Square, is one of the world's great squares.
St Mark’s Square is the epicenter of tourist activity in Venice and is a landmark location for housing the foremost church and citadel in the city. We had lunch in St Marks listening to the classical music and watching all the people with Weddings all day long.The Basilica di San Marco and Palazzo’s they were all buzzing with people.and I loved every minute of it. The only down fall was that there was nowhere to sit and eat or just rest with out paying.

We joined the Gondola Serenade what a great time we had we met 2 more Aussies from Melbourne.We went on this at dusk.The grandeur of the enchanting canal of Venice is wonderful.We had a great time here in Venice
We woke up Sunday morning it was actually Mothers Day in Australia and our family had contacted us to say have a great day.My Children bought me the Gondola ride for mothers day.
I was up early as Rani was up so early scratching around like a bloody chicken again. We went down and had breakfast and headed of to the train station for our trip to Rome.We could hear a few Aussies on the train.
We had been on the train for about 3 hours so we had a bit of lunch Ham & Cheese Berget and fruit.
ay 2009:So we settled down to rest as we knew that we were going to have a big 3 days in Rome.
We walked to our Hotel which took 20min but it was great as we had been sitting all day on the train.We had settled into our hotel rested up and then we went for a walk.
Just got outside the B&B and then looked down the street and wow there was the Colosseum. So off we went to have a look around. We decided to have a bit of dinner and we went into this place and had some pasta well In asked all the questions about no chili and the likes, So I had a Pena and some bolagnise but one mouthful and I was in trouble the chief had put chillies inside the Pena, well for the next 15 min I was having trouble breathing, they were all apologetic Di said we did ask all those questions but you still put it in, this is the first time I seen Di stand up to anyone, They gave us new meals without Chili in it.and Vino all free.
So off we went for a walk to Trevi Fountain.
The Trevi Fountain, inspired by Roman triumphal arches, is the largest and most famous Baroque fountain in Rome (standing 25.9 meters high and 19.8 meters wide). well that movie comes back in your head Three coins in a fountain.
We were sitting there just looking and watching everything Di and I both had our Aussie hats on, and behind us we heard the Aussie chant so we all sat and chatted,
It was getting late so we headed back to the Hotel.
It was a quaint old place but the walls were paper thin and you could hear everything and I mean everthing.

So the next day we were up and we walked and walked for miles then we got on the hop on hop off bus and went to find places to see We seen the Vatican but we were doing a tour there tomorrow so we gave that a miss but we did hop of the bus as Di found this place and she wanted to buy some Italian shoes they were so soft.
So we had a great day and at the end of the day we hopped of the bus at the Colosseum and this young boy stopped us and you look and there is this Aussie Tan thongs the lot and then he spoke yes he was an Aussie. he worked there, well we walked around and around and it was just on dusk and we being mad Aussies in our 50s/60s decided to skip and sing Home among the Gum trees and Aussies came from everywhere and joined in. We had about 20 people sitting on the steps at the Colosseum this bronzed aussie turned up and said hey why dont we go buy some pizza and wine and we have dinner here. Well we all handed over money and of he went and about 20min later he was back with a friend with a guitar and boxes of Pizzas and wine. We had a perfect night.
After a great night we got up I sent a text message to my friend Janet in Aus it said if you hear of someone falling out a 4th story window in Rome don't worry its just me throwing Rani out the window we are at the end of our tour and thank goodness as Rani was bugging me this getting up early like 4am is maddening.
Today we were of to the Vatican what a day
The Sistine Chapel: what can I say about this place except you have to see it to believe it. But the Pope was not there I arrived and he left not fair.
Well it is wonderful and very hard to explain you just have to go.
Di was not happy in Rome she did not like it she thought they were rude and the place very dirty, me yes it was dirty but I will be back as I think there is more to see.
Well our last meal in Rome you would not believe was Chinese well it was safe.
The next morning we headed back to the train station to catch a train to the airport. Ciampino airport to catch a flight out to Stansted.
h May 2009: Got home late from Italy was around 1am Elizabeth had tea for us when we got in, Rani stayed the night with us and then we put her on the train to head back home. Di & I wandered around Bishop Stortford David to us to see Lames again at the The Cock it a really old English pub.We got home and Elizabeth had a light snack for us as we were having a BBQ English style that night.

About 8.30pm We met some lovely neighbors they came for dinner,We had Venison Steak Italian sausages I have never had venison before it was a little gamey but nice.
We had a great night up until about 2am chatting away about our trip to Europe.
17th May 2009: We are heading of to the Norfolk Coast Southwold Had a great lunch went for a walk on the moors We later met up with Robert there son had afternoon tea with them I had not seen him since 2001. We went on to a beach called Shingle Street beach it was pebbles pebbles and more pebbles it was the North Sea.It was freezing the beach grows things like cabbages they were weird.The water was a dark brown I was told it was like that because it was not deep.We went back to Robert & Jennys house and when we got there Tom arrived the last time I seen Tom was in 2001 and he was 8 years old my gosh he has grown up and one day he will be a successful artist.
18th May 2009: We had a lazy day did a bit of washing and then late that afternoon David took us to the Cricket Club to watch the girls play and have a cold beer.
19th May.2009: Elizabeth took us to Saffron Waldon Dunmow Finchingfield had a great time Late afternoon we came back to Liz's place and walked around to David at the Golf Club met a few more of his friends sat and had a few beers with them and a snack and headed home. About 8pm we started setting the table for dinner we talked liz into having all the left overs and we did had a great last night together sat up till 2am talking and drinking.
In the morning Di Liz and myself set of for a day in London, We headed down to the Palace to watch the changing of the Guard which this was the first time I had ever seen it there I missed it in 2001 this time I seen it at the Palace and at Windsor Castle.
Then we went to the Mews wow what a place we spent hours in there just looking around I had to go to Fortnum & Masons to buy my tea, We thought that we seen Margret Thatcher walking around but we couldn't be sure.About 4pm we headed of to Wandsworth where Joanna & Julian lived we were going to have dinner with them.
Because it doesn't get dark till late we forgot about the time and we had to get a train back to Stansted where David was picking us up. We arrived back home at midnight had a cuppa and headed of to bed.
2nd May 2009:. Today was a great day so Di and I decided to head of to Harburgh about 30mins away, we meandered down to the bus stopped and waited for it to arrive, we were getting expert about that now. We arrived in town and wandered around the shops till 1pm and headed back on the bus and called into the pub and had a late lunch. 23rd We decided we would head into Northampton to see a craft store we were told about it was spectacular we spent hours walking around before we headed back home late afternoon.
We are of to Cambridge today to see John & Dawn and there 2 boys I seen them the last time in 2001. We had a great day there chatted away all day catching up with everything around 3pm we headed home this journey was going to take about 2 hrs as the traffic had picked up and there were a few accidents luckily Louise new some back ways.
24th May 2009: Today was a beautiful sunny day and we were heading of to the Cotswold's another place that I had been a long time ago but knew that Di would love it out there,places like upper & lower Slaughter Stow - in - Wold Nether Westcoast what a name but it was a quaint place We had a great day had our picnic in the park to let the children have a play and late afternoon we headed back home.
25th May 2009 was a holiday and Mark took us over to Coton Manor This is a peaceful ten acre garden occupies a hillside position extending down from the 17th century manor house, constructed of mellow Northamptonshire stone.The sea of bluebells, and the beautiful scent, make this one of the most spectacular bluebell woods in England.We wandered around for hours. We then had a couple of days to rejuvenate and pack our bags and just catch up on things.
27th May 2009: Was our last big day out We were taking the Children into London the weather was not great but the children didn't seem to mind at all, we went to the palace Hyde Park we went to St James and watched them practice for the Queens Birthday bash, even in the wet it was spectacular and we all seemed to be happy to be there and that it was like it was not raining.
Then we headed of to Hemleys the famous toy store, we met up with Elizabeth there and had lunch, as Elizabeth was taking Harry back to her place as he was going out with his Grandad. this would be the last time I see Harry as we were leaving the next day. I gave him the biggest cuddle I could muster I think I had a tear as Our Harry is a special little boy to me. And Anna is my princess.
So they headed of home we headed towards the station to go home poor little Anna was so tired. she slept all the way home.
When we got home we all went out for dinner and had a great night.
29th May 2009: Today we hung around the house before we had to leave for the airport we were lucky that Louise had heard the news and that there was a bad accident and that we had better leave early the journey took us 40 min longer than usual but we finally got there Met up with Rani and booked in said our goodbyes with a lot of crying, we headed through customs we knew that we would get held up with Rani and all the crap she was carrying she had to dump some of it.she would not listen to us. now she knows.
So when we got in there our plane was delayed and we had a 5hr wait rang Louise and she said let us know what happens as they could not leave us there for to much longer. they were great they gave us vouchers for a meal and drinks, after another 50 min they called us to board I let Louise know what is happening, I knew that we would miss our connections. On the flight I lost I started to lose my voice I knew it was my Thyroid playing up. As there was a lot of Bird Flu around they were all a little worried. When we got of at Dubai our connection was gone but they had us all directed to go different places and boarded us on planes to our destination Emirates was fabulous.
We were aboard and my voice had completely gone but at the same time my wrist started to ache and I could not rest, By this time they were getting quite worried that I was in a lot of pain I knew it was my Thyroid but I had no medication till I got home. They were bringing me nappies with hot water in them for my hand and hot lemon drinks for my throat.
When we arrived at Sydney they had that Bird Flu thing out and yep they pulled me aside the Dr Checked me over and I told him what was wrong and he agreed that I did not have symptoms of Bird Flu and said to get checked out anyway from My dr,
Well that is my trip Thank you to everyone for a great time Emirate you were the best.and thanks to Barry for getting this organised for us in such a short time.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb