Stockholm, Sweeden


Advertisement
Europe
November 1st 2009
Published: November 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Central Station  StockholmCentral Station  StockholmCentral Station Stockholm

Statue of Nils Ericsson stands before the entrance to a huge station.
A statue of Nils Ericson stands in front of the railroad station in Stockholm...from Widipekia, "Between 1830 and 1850 Nils Ericson planned and directed the construction of the canals at Stallbacka, Säffle, Karlstad and Albrektsund. He also led the construction of the Saima canal in Finland and the reconstruction of the canal at Trollhättan and the floodgate at Stockholm. After 1850 he was primarily occupied with the design and construction of the Swedish state owned railway system."

Arrive at the station in the afternoon and go to Renstierna Hotel. Very easy to follow instructions. Friendly welcome. Beautiful room ... two nights of Luxury ... some issue about being full so I have a room with a double bed, a flat screen TV and a private me-only shower.
Breakfast is good but less than organic
Great location:
easy to reach with bus 53
lots of cafes.
Thai, Indian, Italian, Turkish food, Pizzerias, Irish Pub, grocery store open on Sunday, shoemaker, second hand shop, men's wear, ladies designer shop, hairdressers, other pubs,convenience store. chocolate factory, a vegetarian restaurant, a Norsk Church and a bus stop at the door ... well almost.

Went to the ICA grocery store and bought food ... eggs, instant potatoes, salad and coffee. Ate well cleaned up the dishes ... this is a hostel/hotel after all... and settled into my cosy room ... with Gustav Klimt's "Kiss" hanging over the bed, the loved one is needed once again!

The place is full but the fridge is empty. Store my purchases in a plastric bag and put the whole thing in the fridge. Wash all utinsels and plates and pots before using. The simple meal tasted great since I had not eaten since the BK sandwich at 07:00. My body thanks me for getting off the MS Norkapp!

Shower, Skype, Sleep!!!

Day 1

Spent with a new aquaintance... book store at Architecture Museum, Fire alarm, Kimomo Exhibit, wander along waterfront towards lilj..., peek into charming cemetery, and then a fabulous rug display
Now know to take #65 to get to the 17th century ship the Vasa and the outdoor museum of life in Sweeden as it used to be. Stop for coffee and sandwich in a reasonably prices cafe and even enjoy passion fruit ice cream. eventually wander towards Central Station and buy tickets necessary for susequent trips. The day was overcast
Poodle Power in Gamla StanPoodle Power in Gamla StanPoodle Power in Gamla Stan

Gamla Stan is the old part of town ... very upscale if the dogs are a barometer.
and cool when finally reaching back the hot coffee was welcome ... could have used a nice soup. Ate my tomatoe, mushroom, olives, sausage with mayonaisse and dijon mustard from a tube. Shower, stretch out in bed and BLOGBLOGBLOG... and watch TV ...


2 Day
the number 2 bus took me to the Centre of the city and I plan to get off at the Palace.
I wanted to attend an 11:00 service in the Palace church
It was so early I stayed on the bus and went to the last stop ... spoke with the driver during his 9min break
He told me about the bus museum ... will check that out on Friday
Arrived 8 min late for the service but in plenty of time for the collection ... only had NOK's in change...

Sightseeing is suspended for the duration of the catholic service in the Stockkyrke
There are two throne seats for royal occasions or attendance
Sir George perpetually kills the dragon
and the reformist is buried under the pulpit.

There is something to be said for the ritual ... did not commit the harper oblate fiasco ... although the priest said
Changing of the GuardChanging of the GuardChanging of the Guard

The military guard watches over the Royal family.
that everyone of all denominations iswelcome to recieve the waffer.

An hour and a half later I went looking for the front door of the Palace ...found a crowd and discovered that the changing of the guard would soon take place ...everyone had to stand behind the line ... long delay ... misting and damp ... went in search of Gustav III's Antik Museum ... closed for the season ... back to the Guards ... once the band passed and the troops were in the courtyard the crowd surged forward ... so much for my perfect vantage point behind the line!

Am too short to see anything ... get tickets for and info about the Palace ... "We close at three, but you can use the combination ticket for 30 days."

Am heading towards the bejewelled crowns, sceptres, swords and medals ... the pearls are REAL! wild! with no two exactly alike! ... the emeralds the size of pecans,the diamonds the size of peas, big peas! rubies and sapphires in sizes from mustard seeds to cherries.

Am heading out before three and see a crowd heading up stairs in the Treasury Building. Follow and come
A Walk in the CementeryA Walk in the CementeryA Walk in the Cementery

On All Saints Day the cemetery is alight with candles, decorated with pine wreaths and visited by many.
to where ai had wanted to be ... the Royal Chapel where the Royal Family still attends services. When they are not in attendance, the public is welcome on Sunday at 11:00. I stayed and listened to a Choral and orchestral presentation of "Music for Souls", it being Nov. 1.

Almost two hours later full of Wagner, Brahms, and Tannenbaum I came out into a sparkling evening dry as a bone and cool.

Back to Hotel/Hostel to eat and skype, shower and get to bed early ....04:15 wake-up to catch 05:14 bus to Central Station to catch a 06:14 train to Falun and then Sondbrun.

I am going to need an extra bag for all the culture I am absorbing!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

In Line for the MuseumIn Line for the Museum
In Line for the Museum

Everywhere there were a terrific number of people with children! absorbing CULTURE
Dragging on a DragonDragging on a Dragon
Dragging on a Dragon

Children come to the Family Room to paint, play and participate in creativity.
Weaving LoomWeaving Loom
Weaving Loom

As part of the rug exhibit an old loom was set up and in working order.
Gustav KlimtGustav Klimt
Gustav Klimt

Sleeping under the "Kiss".


Tot: 0.465s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1165s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb