Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Gatwick Airport
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Gatwick Airport
Latest Blogs from Gatwick Airport
- January 10th 2012 Long Journey
by Words: 147 Photos: 0
- June 24th 2011 Pink jogging suits and overweight bags
by Words: 449 Photos: 0
- February 4th 2011 Departure
by Words: 414 Photos: 0
- September 30th 2009 Day 1: Leaving England
by Words: 679 Photos: 3
- June 9th 2009 The most surreal experience at airport security...
by Words: 300 Photos: 0
- March 7th 2009 Pre Trip
by Words: 95 Photos: 0
- October 6th 2008 Full Circle
by Words: 567 Photos: 20
- June 29th 2008 London to Atlanta...the long way
by Words: 816 Photos: 6
- June 26th 2008 Dublin to London
by Words: 1988 Photos: 15
- April 14th 2008 The First Post
by Words: 307 Photos: 0
- September 11th 2007 Coffee you idiots... tea isn't strong enough
by Words: 512 Photos: 0
- July 17th 2007 In Europe!!
by Words: 577 Photos: 1
- May 31st 2007 We're here!
by Words: 290 Photos: 0
- May 18th 2007 Unbelievable!
by Words: 368 Photos: 0
- March 4th 2007 going home... slowly
by Words: 216 Photos: 0
- July 12th 2006 Ashley: 1, UK Creeps: 0
by Words: 403 Photos: 0
- June 17th 2006 LEAVING WAKEFIELD
by Words: 125 Photos: 0
- June 15th 2006 Dear Crap Planes
by Words: 237 Photos: 2