Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Blogs from Canary Wharf
Latest Blogs from Canary Wharf
- April 2nd 2013 London UK - Easter 2013
by Words: 1068 Photos: 27
- July 8th 2012 BANG UP THE BANKERS!!!
by Words: 647 Photos: 0
- April 29th 2012 Day 2 - London
by Words: 1747 Photos: 9
- April 28th 2012 Day 1 - Arriving in London
by Words: 579 Photos: 5
- February 25th 2012 Recession? RECESSION?...Let them drink bubbly!
by Words: 1268 Photos: 0
- January 13th 2012 London ice sculpting festival
by Words: 873 Photos: 16
- October 2nd 2011 Visitors in London
by Words: 140 Photos: 45
- April 19th 2011 6 more days!!
by Words: 220 Photos: 0
- April 12th 2011 My first entry!
by Words: 41 Photos: 0
- December 12th 2010 Farewell to Olde England ...and Olde Scotland and Olde Wales
by Words: 1434 Photos: 27
- November 29th 2010 Leaving, on a jet plane, dont know when we'll be back again ....
by Words: 122 Photos: 10
- August 25th 2010 The Museum of Docklands
by Words: 1002 Photos: 5
- August 4th 2010 My UK chapter is coming to a close...
by Words: 681 Photos: 0
- July 22nd 2010 Londres Canary Wharf - Centro Financiero
by Words: 8 Photos: 11
- July 20th 2010 London- Almost ready to click those Ruby Red Slippers- There's no place like home
by Words: 323 Photos: 0
- May 27th 2010 London Marathon 2010
by Words: 56 Photos: 72
- December 19th 2009 On being 28
by Words: 691 Photos: 0
- December 16th 2009 Notes from outside the comfort zone.
by Words: 229 Photos: 0
- November 7th 2009 All Hallows Eve - Costume Party at the flat
by Words: 299 Photos: 45
- October 28th 2009 London baby!
by Words: 971 Photos: 3