Today We Did Nothing ... And Then Had a Big Surprise


Advertisement
Published: July 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Borough MarketBorough MarketBorough Market

The Stone's at the beginning of their visit to Borough Market (when they still had money)
Today was an "off day," but despite the lack of a plan, we had a wonderful time.

We skipped breakfast in the apartment. Instead we jumped on the Tube to the Borough Market at London Bridge. For those of you from Madison, the Borough Market is like Saturday's Farmer's Market on steroids. Vendors sold everything from fresh produce to corned beef sandwiches to "turkish delights," a chewy fruit candy. We wandered for hours, eating breakfast as we walked, and purchasing supplies for a picnic lunch. Collectively, we purchased about $50,000 worth of food, but we had a great and memorable time.

From Borough Market we walked along the river to the Millennium Bridge (which was featured in the 6th Harry Potter film). We crossed the bridge and visited St. Paul's Cathedral.

We then hopped on the Tube to Hyde Park. We spent the rest of the day in this huge park. We people watched, played frisbee, took pictures, fed ducks and had a great lunch with our booty from Borough Market. Lunch was comprised of a loaf of sourdough bread, 2 types of farm cheese, some gluten-free banana bread for Allison, crisps (aka chips for our American readers), hummus, cherries, oranges, chicken, salami and amazing strawberry jam. The food was great, as was the very relaxing afternoon.

At the end of the day, we made a shopping stop to the Official Chelsea Team Store at Stamford Bridge Stadium. Needless to say we acquired some much needed gear. Tyler got a very cool jacket ... the size??? ... 2XL. Tyler is HUGE!

When we got back to the apartment, Allison and Tyler instructed Ed and Lisa to get dressed for dinner. We then made our way to a lovely restaurant named Strada, on the river, near Tower Bridge, where, at a table overlooking the bridge, Ed and Lisa celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary, at their children's expense.

A perfect end to a perfect day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Millenium BridgeMillenium Bridge
Millenium Bridge

Apparently re-built after the Harry Potter movie
The SerpentineThe Serpentine
The Serpentine

The Serpentine is a large lake in the center of Hyde Park
Hedge TrimmingHedge Trimming
Hedge Trimming

Nobody ever gets to complain about trimming hedges ... Ever!
Go ChelseaGo Chelsea
Go Chelsea

The Stone's at Stamford Bridge Stadium
I Thought You Were Paying?I Thought You Were Paying?
I Thought You Were Paying?

Allison and Tyler discuss finances when dinner bill arrives at Strada


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb