Background: Spain's powerful world empire of the 16th and 17th centuries ultimately yielded command of the seas to England. Subsequent failure to embrace the mercantile and industrial revolutions caused the country to fall behind Britain, France, and Germany in economic and political power. Spain remained neutral in World Wars I and II, but suffered through a devastating civil war (1936-39). In the second half of the 20th century, Spain has played a catch-up role in the western international community; it joined the EU in 1986. Continuing challenges include Basque Fatherland and Liberty (ETA) terrorism and further reductions in unemployment.
Photos from Figueres
Blogs from Figueres
Latest Blogs from Figueres
- September 24th 2013 Our last night in Spain after some wonderful experiences
by Words: 2367 Photos: 12
- December 25th 2010 Figueres - thoughts about a trip & a town
by Words: 794 Photos: 2
- December 24th 2010 Fortress of Sant Ferran at Figueres
by Words: 573 Photos: 21
- December 24th 2010 Toy Museum in Figueres
by Words: 654 Photos: 14
- December 23rd 2010 Disaster Avoided --- Just In Time!
by Words: 680 Photos: 1
- December 23rd 2010 Salvador Dali Museum -outside & courtyard
by Words: 207 Photos: 21
- October 30th 2010 South into Spain - Happy Birthday
by Words: 631 Photos: 13
- June 8th 2010 Dali & Tunnels
by Words: 790 Photos: 24
- April 20th 2010 Barcelona Day 6
by Words: 469 Photos: 0
- March 27th 2010 Costa Brava Saturday
by Words: 126 Photos: 38
- October 23rd 2009 Northern Spain...ola...
by Words: 2431 Photos: 57
- July 25th 2009 Olot & Lower Pyrenees
by Words: 514 Photos: 4
- May 18th 2009 Skydiving!!!!
by Words: 352 Photos: 9
- May 12th 2009 The road leads to Spain........
by Words: 1229 Photos: 21
- March 30th 2009 It's been a while..
by Words: 659 Photos: 0
- November 24th 2008 Figueres and Salvador Dali
by Words: 115 Photos: 58
- July 31st 2008 A Day with Dali
by Words: 459 Photos: 4
- January 24th 2008 Fortifying Our Surrealist Minds
by Words: 500 Photos: 20
- November 11th 2007 Figueres, Spain-The home of Dali
by Words: 652 Photos: 0
- June 22nd 2007 Crazy, Cool Dali
by Words: 370 Photos: 14