Background: Spain's powerful world empire of the 16th and 17th centuries ultimately yielded command of the seas to England. Subsequent failure to embrace the mercantile and industrial revolutions caused the country to fall behind Britain, France, and Germany in economic and political power. Spain remained neutral in World Wars I and II, but suffered through a devastating civil war (1936-39). In the second half of the 20th century, Spain has played a catch-up role in the western international community; it joined the EU in 1986. Continuing challenges include Basque Fatherland and Liberty (ETA) terrorism and further reductions in unemployment.
Photos from Tarifa
Blogs from Tarifa
Latest Blogs from Tarifa
- May 15th 2013 Tarifa
by Words: 164 Photos: 0
- July 15th 2012 Tarifa
by Words: 287 Photos: 10
- May 27th 2012 The one where Carly and I do a lot of lying around and then go whale watching.
by Words: 1820 Photos: 27
- April 13th 2012 Leaving Tarifa
by Words: 56 Photos: 0
- December 1st 2011 The Tarifa triangle - will we ever escape!
by Words: 466 Photos: 0
- November 19th 2011 I felt the rains fall in Africa........ just 15K short!
by Words: 339 Photos: 0
- September 3rd 2011 SPANISH POSTCARD 6
by Words: 47 Photos: 36
- July 22nd 2011 Tarifa: Olas y Dudes
by Words: 352 Photos: 7
- July 12th 2011 9 days in Tarifa
by Words: 424 Photos: 14
- July 7th 2011 The Southernmost Point of Europe, Then West
by Words: 351 Photos: 3
- June 30th 2011 Two weeks in.
by Words: 578 Photos: 0
- June 21st 2011 Life on the Farm
by Words: 569 Photos: 0
- January 2nd 2011 Christmas and New Year 2010/2011 Tarifa
by Words: 1162 Photos: 9
- December 22nd 2010 Spain - Costa De La Luz
by Words: 1725 Photos: 14
- September 15th 2009 Bienvenidos a España
by Words: 2344 Photos: 0
- August 14th 2009 The Chill-Out
by Words: 992 Photos: 8
- August 6th 2009 My vacation in south Spain
by Words: 365 Photos: 5
- July 16th 2009 Tarifa and Gibraltar
by Words: 403 Photos: 11
- June 23rd 2009 Tarifa
by Words: 86 Photos: 6
- June 20th 2009 Windy Tarifa: The Most Southern Town Europe!!
by Words: 899 Photos: 13