Background: The principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia - for centuries under the suzerainty of the Turkish Ottoman Empire - secured their autonomy in 1856; they united in 1859 and a few years later adopted the new name of Romania. The country gained recognition of its independence in 1878. It joined the Allied Powers in World War I and acquired new territories following the conflict. In 1940, it allied with the Axis powers and participated in the 1941 German invasion of the USSR. Three years later, overrun by the Soviets, Romania signed an armistice. The post-war Soviet occupation led to the formation of a Communist "people's republic" in 1947 and the abdication of the king. The decades-long rule of dictator Nicolae CEAUSESCU, who took power in 1965, and his Securitate police state became increasingly oppressive and draconian through the 1980s. CEAUSESCU was overthrown and executed in late 1989. Former Communists dominated the government until 1996, when they were swept from power by a fractious coalition of centrist parties. In 2000, the center-left Social Democratic Party (PSD) became Romania's leading party, governing with the support of the Democratic Union of Hungarians in Romania (UDMR). The opposition center-right alliance formed by the National Liberal Party (PNL) and the Democratic Party (PD) scored a surprise victory over the ruling PSD in December 2004 presidential elections. The PNL-PD alliance maintains a parliamentary majority with the support of the UDMR, the Humanist Party (PUR), and various ethnic minority groups. Although Romania completed accession talks with the European Union (EU) in December 2004, it must continue to address rampant corruption - while invigorating lagging economic and democratic reforms - before it can achieve its hope of joining the EU, tentatively set for 2007. Romania joined NATO in March of 2004.
Photos from Cluj-Napoca
Blogs from Cluj-Napoca
Latest Blogs from Cluj-Napoca
- August 7th 2013 A Rose between two Thorns
by Words: 665 Photos: 24
- August 6th 2013 Here's to losing another hour!
by Words: 677 Photos: 13
- June 19th 2013 Heading north in earnest
by Words: 798 Photos: 6
- July 5th 2011 Archeaotek Summer: Back to Archaeology!
by Words: 936 Photos: 0
- June 24th 2011 Archaeotek Summer- Pathology Week
by Words: 717 Photos: 0
- June 19th 2011 Archaeotek Weekend 2- Sighisoara
by Words: 1055 Photos: 0
- June 12th 2011 Archaeotek Weekend 1- Ice Cave
by Words: 873 Photos: 0
- June 7th 2011 Archaeotek Summer- What have I gotten myself into?!
by Words: 632 Photos: 0
- June 6th 2011 Archaeotek Summer- First day of classes!
by Words: 580 Photos: 0
- June 5th 2011 Archaeotek Summer- Thermal baths and a full day train ride to Cluj
by Words: 804 Photos: 0
- February 25th 2011 Cluj Napoca
by Words: 259 Photos: 63
- August 7th 2010 Budapest to Cluj-Napoca, Romania 490Km
by Words: 1045 Photos: 0
- November 26th 2009 Transylvania
by Words: 778 Photos: 0
- September 21st 2008 Day Eight: Budapest
by Words: 347 Photos: 0
- August 14th 2008 Last Day in Cluj :(
by Words: 157 Photos: 3
- August 13th 2008 Winding up Part 1...
by Words: 148 Photos: 4
- August 7th 2008 It's Friday...ish
by Words: 358 Photos: 6
- August 6th 2008 Jesus Shaved?
by Words: 412 Photos: 3
- August 5th 2008 More and More kids!!
by Words: 371 Photos: 2
- August 4th 2008 Week 2. Wow.
by Words: 833 Photos: 3