Heavy Metal Bergen


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Bergen
August 5th 2023
Published: August 5th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Bergen beckons. Another slow morning while we can before we hit the roads again in Denmark and Sweden.

Wandered off through streets we hadn’t seen before. Noticed yesterday that there were a lot of black t shirted people around. We have a heavy metal pub near our hotel and it was buzzing last night with some very old hard rockers. Again this arvo it had quite a few sitting outside while the music pumped inside.

Found out soon there was a heavy metal festival on in Bergen from 2/8 to 5/8 (today). Explains all the black t shirts I guess - and long hair and tatts……

Our wanderings took us up some very steep streets and eventually to a cathedral. There was a festival on (kids this time - no black t shirts here). Then down through more areas we hadn’t seen until we got to the university. Nice buildings and great gardens. A very old tram came trundling past us. Even had a conductor on board.

Down more hills towards some gardens and a water feature we had seen in the taxi from the station yesterday. All of a sudden it was black t shirt nirvana. We had found the heavy metal festival arena. People lined up everywhere to get in.

Ended up in the gardens where we stopped and got a bite and a drink. Sun was shining so very pleasant sitting there soaking up the rays.

Wandered back through town and again another festival for kids. This time with Lego. Big stuff for the littler kids and the real stuff dumped on long tables for the older kids and adults to play with. Charlie would have been in his element here. Lots of Lego and you didn’t have to pay to play.

Through the waterfront and then headed back towards the hotel. Stopped at Stefano’s for a cheeky Rose in the sun. Very pleasant.

Out to dinner at a place recommended by our friend at the hotel. BBQ meats. Nice food in an interesting style place. No airs or graces here. Paper towel rolls instead of napkins but probably a good idea if you were having the ribs.

Day finished with a walk through another area of town then re-pack the bags again. Onto the ferry to Denmark tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.339s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0814s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb