Background: Two centuries of Viking raids into Europe tapered off following the adoption of Christianity by King Olav TRYGGVASON in 994. Conversion of the Norwegian kingdom occurred over the next several decades. In 1397, Norway was absorbed into a union with Denmark that was to last for more than four centuries. In 1814, Norwegians resisted the cession of their country to Sweden and adopted a new constitution. Sweden then invaded Norway but agreed to let Norway keep its constitution in return for accepting the union under a Swedish king. Rising nationalism throughout the 19th century led to a 1905 referendum granting Norway independence. Although Norway remained neutral in World War I, it suffered heavy losses to its shipping. Norway proclaimed its neutrality at the outset of World War II, but was nonetheless occupied for five years by Nazi Germany (1940-45). In 1949, neutrality was abandoned and Norway became a member of NATO. Discovery of oil and gas in adjacent waters in the late 1960s boosted Norway's economic fortunes. The current focus is on containing spending on the extensive welfare system and planning for the time when petroleum reserves are depleted. In referenda held in 1972 and 1994, Norway rejected joining the EU.
Photos from Bergen
Blogs from Bergen
Latest Blogs from Bergen
- August 1st 2013 Doing plenty
by Words: 267 Photos: 20
- July 28th 2013 Moving right along;
by Words: 332 Photos: 18
- July 23rd 2013 Small room Big view.. Alesund to Bergen
by Words: 639 Photos: 30
- July 22nd 2013 Here in Norway.
by Words: 330 Photos: 15
- July 18th 2013 Just a few bits and pieces such as flowers, houses and whatever.
by Words: 210 Photos: 17
- July 16th 2013 Food, Glorious Food.
by Words: 120 Photos: 21
- July 13th 2013 And so to Norway
by Words: 307 Photos: 7
- November 15th 2012 Bergen home of the fjords, mini markets, hills and rain!
by Words: 238 Photos: 48
- September 6th 2012 Exploring Bergen: From Rickety Old Wooden Building to Swanky Apartment in One Day
by Words: 1024 Photos: 5
- August 15th 2012 Last days Norway
by Words: 243 Photos: 14
- August 13th 2012 From Flashpacking To Backpacking
by Words: 1658 Photos: 19
- August 12th 2012 Norway
by Words: 415 Photos: 4
- August 9th 2012 Moving right along!!!!
by Words: 575 Photos: 2
- August 7th 2012 still sailing
by Words: 577 Photos: 6
- August 4th 2012 Continuing sailing south.
by Words: 805 Photos: 8
- August 1st 2012 Computer fixed. Now catch up time.
by Words: 615 Photos: 12
- June 5th 2012 Norway: cruise with Hurtigruten
by Words: 2254 Photos: 27
- May 27th 2012 An Unintentional Hermit Holiday
by Words: 3504 Photos: 25
- December 23rd 2011 If you'd like to continue following our travels ...
by Words: 10 Photos: 0
- November 1st 2011 Norway in a weekend
by Words: 451 Photos: 4