Background: After a brief period of independence between the two World Wars, Latvia was annexed by the USSR in 1940. It reestablished its independence in 1991 following the breakup of the Soviet Union. Although the last Russian troops left in 1994, the status of the Russian minority (some 30% of the population) remains of concern to Moscow. Latvia joined both NATO and the EU in the spring of 2004.
Photos from Liepaja
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Liepaja
Latest Blogs from Liepaja
- July 6th 2011 Why is it so...?
by Words: 2742 Photos: 1
- December 28th 2009 Karosta KGB Prison
by Words: 303 Photos: 5
- September 1st 2009 Liepaja - the rocking out edition - still no snaps!
by Words: 1416 Photos: 0
- September 3rd 2008 Leipaja, Rock Capital of Latvia
by Words: 302 Photos: 10
- August 5th 2008 Kuldiga to Liepaja
by Words: 533 Photos: 0
- April 24th 2008 ...and Happiness is just a Flaming Moe's away
by Words: 1453 Photos: 19
- September 1st 2007 Feels like Chernobyl but still only in Latvia
by Words: 527 Photos: 13
- April 10th 2007 Snow at Easter.
by Words: 136 Photos: 7
- February 16th 2007 Liepaja_ the Amber Coast
by Words: 311 Photos: 10
- February 16th 2007 Heading South...
by Words: 130 Photos: 5