Background: Italy became a nation-state in 1861 when the city-states of the peninsula, along with Sardinia and Sicily, were united under King Victor EMMANUEL II. An era of parliamentary government came to a close in the early 1920s when Benito MUSSOLINI established a Fascist dictatorship. His disastrous alliance with Nazi Germany led to Italy's defeat in World War II. A democratic republic replaced the monarchy in 1946 and economic revival followed. Italy was a charter member of NATO and the European Economic Community (EEC). It has been at the forefront of European economic and political unification, joining the Economic and Monetary Union in 1999. Persistent problems include illegal immigration, organized crime, corruption, high unemployment, sluggish economic growth, and the low incomes and technical standards of southern Italy compared with the prosperous north.
Photos from Trento
Blogs from Trento
Latest Blogs from Trento
- September 2nd 2012 We drove 50 KM but we did 100 KM worth of stuff
by Words: 633 Photos: 13
- March 24th 2011 The Story So Far...
by Words: 437 Photos: 0
- March 24th 2011 Trento
by Words: 202 Photos: 0
- August 14th 2009 Europe
by Words: 717 Photos: 29
- May 24th 2009 Getting Dizzy Driving thru the Dolomites
by Words: 519 Photos: 5
- May 22nd 2009 Off to find the wine and cheese roads in the Trento Region
by Words: 679 Photos: 4
- May 12th 2009 Alpine Altitude
by Words: 584 Photos: 8
- January 25th 2009 Gita sulla Neve- Snow Trip!
by Words: 1588 Photos: 12
- August 26th 2008 Of cookies, Italy, and photos
by Words: 714 Photos: 30
- July 4th 2008 Northern Italy: A Romance
by Words: 1317 Photos: 0
- July 3rd 2008 Safe in Dro!
by Words: 475 Photos: 0
- June 19th 2008 A surprise stop in Trento!
by Words: 207 Photos: 11
- September 7th 2007 Trento
by Words: 138 Photos: 4
- March 5th 2007 Dolomites!
by Words: 275 Photos: 2
- September 12th 2006 Prego, Prego, Prego.
by Words: 234 Photos: 6
- September 11th 2006 I think I ate too much
by Words: 248 Photos: 8
- September 10th 2006 Don't worry, we'll come find you.
by Words: 278 Photos: 8
- February 24th 1972 Overland 1972 - Day 13
by Words: 422 Photos: 0