Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
June 20th 2007
Published: June 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Berlin has definitely been an experience - as one of the largest cities in Europe, it took some time to get used to the size! Leah and Sean put us in contact with their friend Anika, and we got to stay in her apartment in Kreuzberg all week with her four roommates.

Once you get past the size of the city, the neighborhoods are really great. ...and as we have read, Berlin is like New York in the 80s. exactly. haha

We have spent the past three days wandering around to memorials and museums and also making time to sit in the cafes and people watch. We spent most of our time in (the former) East Berlin, mainly Mitte and Prenzlauer Berg. The amount of history to absorb in this city is intense.

Last night Sarah's new roommate Jemi and his fiancee, Annette (who lives in Berlin) took us out to dinner in their neighborhood for a fantastic meal. And who knew German wine was so great? I have no idea why they don't sell it in the states. If this was the end of our trip, believe me, we would be bringing some home!

Today we had a bit of an adventure... we bought an expensive all day subway ticket the first day, and no one checked it. So, we figured we would see how long we could get away with not buying one. Well, apparently we only got as far as this morning when a pair of U-Bahn thugs (rather, subway police) instructed us to remove ourselves from the train and pay the 40 euro fine, despite our attempts to display American ignorance and overwhelm her with the speed of our pleas (she asked us to slow down, haha). I bet they get that "we didn't understand!" excuse all the time.

Tomorrow is the annual Fete de la Musique, an all day free music festival that is happening in cities all over Europe. We were planning to stay for it, but unfortunately it is supposed to rain ALL day. Definitely disappointing. Instead, we are going to hop on an early train to Dresden to visit with Jemi's friend Rudi who has offered to take the day off from work to show us around.

more from Dresden...

DISCLAIMER: We understand the seriousness of these historical sites. Please excuse the odd placement of our happy hour photos. 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



20th June 2007

"white trash fast food," absolutely priceless!
20th June 2007

they do sell german rieslings in america!! isnt berlin amazing?? i'm really excited to talk to you about it!!

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb