Background: As Europe's largest economy and most populous nation, Germany remains a key member of the continent's economic, political, and defense organizations. European power struggles immersed Germany in two devastating World Wars in the first half of the 20th century and left the country occupied by the victorious Allied powers of the US, UK, France, and the Soviet Union in 1945. With the advent of the Cold War, two German states were formed in 1949: the western Federal Republic of Germany (FRG) and the eastern German Democratic Republic (GDR). The democratic FRG embedded itself in key Western economic and security organizations, the EC, which became the EU, and NATO, while the Communist GDR was on the front line of the Soviet-led Warsaw Pact. The decline of the USSR and the end of the Cold War allowed for German unification in 1990. Since then, Germany has expended considerable funds to bring Eastern productivity and wages up to Western standards. In January 1999, Germany and 10 other EU countries introduced a common European exchange currency, the euro.
Photos from Berlin
Blogs from Berlin
Latest Blogs from Berlin
- March 9th 2014 Ich liebe in Berlin zu spielen
by Words: 962 Photos: 4
- March 7th 2014 Ein Berliner
by Words: 797 Photos: 4
- March 6th 2014 Danke schon, bitte schon, attention, at ease....
by Words: 1053 Photos: 6
- March 5th 2014 Ich bin in Deutschland
by Words: 1256 Photos: 6
- March 3rd 2014 COUNTDOWN
by Words: 379 Photos: 8
- January 13th 2014 Have A Little Faith
by Words: 1599 Photos: 5
- January 13th 2014 Berlin es muy fantastico!
by Words: 402 Photos: 12
- January 8th 2014 Nostalgia and Black Out
by Words: 1545 Photos: 24
- January 6th 2014 Back in Berlin - I/2014, day five
by Words: 297 Photos: 4
- January 6th 2014 Die katze ist flauschig!
by Words: 388 Photos: 14
- January 5th 2014 Back in Berlin - I/2014, day four
by Words: 238 Photos: 4
- January 4th 2014 Back in Berlin - I/2014, day three
by Words: 153 Photos: 2
- January 4th 2014 Deutscher besuch!
by Words: 1193 Photos: 38
- January 3rd 2014 Back in Berlin - I/2014, day two
by Words: 419 Photos: 4
- January 3rd 2014 First day in Berlin
by Words: 130 Photos: 11
- January 2nd 2014 Happy New Years!!
by Words: 289 Photos: 20
- January 2nd 2014 Back in Berlin - I/2014, day one
by Words: 500 Photos: 2
- December 31st 2013 In Berlin. At the end of the year. 2013: It's going to be fabulous in 2014!
by Words: 549 Photos: 5
- December 3rd 2013 Brandenburg Tor, the Reichstag building, Neues Museum and Altes Museum
by Words: 1018 Photos: 10
- December 2nd 2013 DDR Museum, Pergamon Museum and camera trouble
by Words: 1197 Photos: 10