Background: Although ultimately a victor in World Wars I and II, France suffered extensive losses in its empire, wealth, manpower, and rank as a dominant nation-state. Nevertheless, France today is one of the most modern countries in the world and is a leader among European nations. Since 1958, it has constructed a presidential democracy resistant to the instabilities experienced in earlier parliamentary democracies. In recent years, its reconciliation and cooperation with Germany have proved central to the economic integration of Europe, including the introduction of a common exchange currency, the euro, in January 1999. At present, France is at the forefront of efforts to develop the EU's military capabilities to supplement progress toward an EU foreign policy.
Photos from Mont Saint-Michel
Blogs from Mont Saint-Michel
Latest Blogs from Mont Saint-Michel
- August 31st 2013 Normandy part I - Mont Saint-Michel and a few other places
by Words: 573 Photos: 14
- August 30th 2013 A day at magical Mont Saint-Michel
by Words: 1080 Photos: 9
- May 28th 2013 PORTS OF CALL
by Words: 861 Photos: 0
- April 30th 2013 Mont-Saint Michel
by Words: 425 Photos: 2
- April 28th 2013 Too Many Goodbyes Could Kill You
by Words: 1635 Photos: 7
- March 27th 2013 Mont St. Michel
by Words: 674 Photos: 8
- December 28th 2012 Day Eight - Enough of All This World War II Stuff....Let's Go Medieval
by Words: 339 Photos: 91
- August 1st 2012 Medieval marvel
by Words: 150 Photos: 5
- May 25th 2012 Europa - Day 13
by Words: 314 Photos: 0
- May 24th 2012 Europa - Day 12
by Words: 311 Photos: 0
- May 23rd 2012 Europa Day 11
by Words: 342 Photos: 0
- May 11th 2012 MONT-ST. MICHEL
by Words: 1794 Photos: 17
- March 3rd 2012 We Arrived in France!! Now Onto Mont Saint Michel!!
by Words: 898 Photos: 21
- August 13th 2011 Mont Saint-Michel
by Words: 145 Photos: 185
- June 8th 2011 Mont Saint-Michel
by Words: 657 Photos: 13
- April 13th 2011 Proud to be an American...
by Words: 818 Photos: 29
- April 16th 2010 Surrounded by Quicksand and History at Mont St. Michel: Normandy, France
by Words: 145 Photos: 1
- January 29th 2010 And the angel said.. Build a giant abbey on an island in the bay.
by Words: 281 Photos: 10
- December 12th 2009 The Greatest Place Of All Time!
by Words: 2751 Photos: 51
- October 2nd 2009 Finally there!
by Words: 106 Photos: 15