Day 21 - Mont Saint-Michel


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Mont Saint-Michel
May 21st 2012
Published: April 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our trip to Mont Saint-Michel was today, and didn't get off to a great start. The bus left an hour late, and then on the way out of Paris, someone got hit by a car at a pedestrian crossing, and we had to stop for about half an hour. To top it all off, we had a group of 4 seriously annoying American girls on the bus who would not stop talking!

Our 4 hour bus ride actually turned out to be a 5 hour bus ride, and once we arrived, we were given a measly 2 hours to explore this wonderful old abbey. The original structure was built in the 7th century, and construction continued all the way through till the 18th century. Throughout history, it was never claimed by a foreign aggressor, and was only defended by a handful of knights, monks and nuns.

After our whirlwind trip through the abbey, we were whisked away for another 5 hour uncomfortable bus trip back to Paris. We arrived back at 9:00pm, still in broad daylight, had an excellent 3 course meal in the Latin Quarter for 10€ then headed back to the hotel. All in all, a disappointing day, I could have spent a whole day at Mont Saint-Michel, just exploring the old places, the dungeons, the spires, the towers, walked along the fortified walls. But the time we spent there was just great, and I got some cool photos too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.417s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1993s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb