Stunning day exploring the Mont Saint-Michel....


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Mont Saint-Michel
July 14th 2016
Published: August 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Brittany is not well known for sunny days....but today, we are lucky enough to get one of those in the bag! The plan was simple...we were going to enjoy the stunning Mont Saint-Michel without the crowds. To do this, we wake up early and breakfast is taken during the short ride from Saint Malo. Time for us to try the famous kouign amann, a Britanny cake full of sugar. Yammie, but not something you want to experience every day!



We arrived at the huge car park of Mont Saint-Michel by 8.30am, and the place is still empty. For the last few years, cars do not get anymore to the foot of the Mont. Rather, they have built a huge car park, and are providing bus transfers to the Mont. The car park fee is not cheap, but once you have three people in the car, you include the return efficient transfer, this is simply a nice and smooth experience.



Once we enter the Mont, we have the place to ourselves. Most shops are just getting ready for another busy day, but nobody around as yet. We don't lose time, and we climb to the top, for the visit of the Abbaye. I came here with my parents when I was a child, but we never visited the Abbaye, don't ask me why. The construction on top of the Mont is just impressive....what a work it may have been to bring all these stones up there. Views are just impressive. The weather is truly on our side too...amazing!



By the time we were done with the Abbaye, the crowds had invaded the small walking street that reach the Abbaye. Trust me, it's a very different experience with all those tourists. Chinese do make it to here too...we did not see them in Saint-Malo!



Just before 1pm, the "wave" is scheduled for today. At low tide, you can walk most of the Baie du Mont Saint-Michel....the water suddenly come back with a first wave.....this is no tsunami time, but still something impressive to witness from the top of the walls! It is obviously not a great idea to be still walking in the bay once the water rises. Rescue units are ready to intervene with unprepared tourists. This is why if you want to go around on the sand....walking, or horsing, a guide is more than a great idea.



Today, we would not have lunch at La Mere Poulard. This place is an institution here...and they serve....omelette! This is probably the most expensive one you will ever eat....with a salad and a dessert, that simple lunch is over 35 euros per person without the drink. Not for today thank you very much....I'm sure it's a great omelette!



By 2pm, we couldn't take the amount of tourists anymore. The postcards were also all on their ways! Smile! It was time for us to take the shuttle bus in the opposite direction for the slow road back to Saint Malo. I told my ladies weeks before the trip, that we should be ready for any weather while visiting Brittany. Well, we may not have been ready for such a gorgeous stay!



Next, we are heading East, but we are not going very far. One more time, no highway and only small local roads to bring us to the history of the Battle of Normandy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb