Saint-Malo


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Brittany » Saint-Malo
July 13th 2016
Published: August 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Here we are....for a traditional meal with Christophe! We met in Tokyo bus station at 10pm in the middle of February in 1996...and we have been friends for the last 20 years! We tend to see each others, mainly in France over the last ten years...for the same exact meal....mussels at Leon de Bruxelles. It may be a chain restaurant, but the mussels are always nice! Normally, we meet on each of my visits to Paris, but this time Christophe is staying at his parents...so we are meeting on our way to St Malo...in Nantes. Fun, to note, Christophe is a native from St Malo!



This would be the only day without gorgeous weather over the last few weeks. Well, this is ok, we are in Brittany. Still, an umbrella would not be necessary for our 2 weeks stay in France. I'm not going to complain.



We are staying just out of the wall city of St Malo. No luxury stay here, just something convenient as we will be out exploring most of the time. We dropped our bags and walked straight to have dinner in the center of the city. Tonight it will be amazing crepes, tomorrow, we are moving to fish soup and some amazing "raie with beurre noire"...love that fish! I didn't take my camera on the second evening, so no picture here.



The tide was nice enough to be at the lowest point when we were walking into St Malo. This did allow us to walk all the way to the Fort National. The place is simply gorgeous and the path is submerged once the tide is high. This can be seriously dangerous if attempted at the wrong time as the tide has been known to take unprepared people walking from St Malo. The warning are there...truly clear...but some may find warning are not for them!



I came here when I was a kid. I don't remember exactly at what age, but it must have been around 10 years old. We were camping in the region. I do remember very well that walk on those walls. This is an amazing experience that i was more than ready to live again with my ladies. we were even lucky with the weather. The light at sunsets is just amazing.



We spent nearly a full day at the Mont Saint-Michel, so I have decided to have a full blog for that amazing place. But on this blog, you will also find few pictures of Cancale as well as the Menhir of Dol de Bretagne. There is a lot to discover in the region, and I wouldn't mind to be back again....and not in 30 years this time! Cancale looks really gorgeous....that place alone could host us for 2 or 3 days on our next visit!



The city walls of St Malo were packed every night, mainly with French tourists around. Just walking intra-muros street is an experience. most of the city was destroyed by the Americans during the Battle of Normandy in 1944. The Americans thought the city was occupied by a huge number of Germans nazi forces...they found out later on with the help of the inhabitants, that it was less than 100 of them...sadly, a big part of the old city had been destroyed. They did a great job at rebuilding it later on!



Next entry, I guess one of the top five sites in France!


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb