Background: Once the center of the Caribbean slave trade, the island of Curacao was hard hit by the abolition of slavery in 1863. Its prosperity (and that of neighboring Aruba) was restored in the early 20th century with the construction of oil refineries to service the newly discovered Venezuelan oil fields. The island of Saint Martin is shared with France; its southern portion is named Sint Maarten and is part of the Netherlands Antilles; its northern portion is called Saint-Martin and is part of Guadeloupe (France).
Photos from Bonaire
Blogs from Bonaire
Latest Blogs from Bonaire
- August 2nd 2013 Diving Bonaire
by Words: 243 Photos: 1
- August 1st 2013 Bon Dive 11. Something Special In front of Dive Friends.
by Words: 177 Photos: 2
- March 14th 2011 Caribbean Cruise - Fifth stop: Bonaire
by Words: 230 Photos: 14
- March 4th 2011 DAY EIGHT
by Words: 663 Photos: 0
- March 2nd 2011 Bonaire: My first UW Photos
by Words: 245 Photos: 0
- May 22nd 2010 Bonaire - "Bon Bini"
by Words: 1132 Photos: 51
- February 26th 2010 Living La Vie Das Locals
by Words: 486 Photos: 13
- June 16th 2009 Bonaire Day 4--Wreck Diving in Bonaire
by Words: 778 Photos: 0
- June 15th 2009 Bonaire Day 3--We're spending too much time on the surface!
by Words: 419 Photos: 0
- June 14th 2009 Bonaire Day 2--So when do we sleep?
by Words: 883 Photos: 0
- December 21st 2008 Bonaire
by Words: 7 Photos: 1
- March 6th 2008 Beautiful Bonaire
by Words: 13 Photos: 5
- November 5th 2007 Puerto La Cruz and onward...
by Words: 3708 Photos: 20
- February 20th 2007 Bonaire & Aruba
by Words: 331 Photos: 7