Background: Territorial disputes between the UK and Guatemala delayed the independence of Belize (formerly British Honduras) until 1981. Guatemala refused to recognize the new nation until 1992. Tourism has become the mainstay of the economy. The country remains plagued by high unemployment, growing involvement in the South American drug trade, and increasing urban crime.
Photos from Placencia Village
Blogs from Placencia Village
Latest Blogs from Placencia Village
- February 2nd 2012 Placencia, Belize
by Words: 879 Photos: 2
- November 23rd 2011 The (External) Recovery
by Words: 571 Photos: 3
- September 27th 2011 Hip Hip Ho-Holiday!
by Words: 1330 Photos: 31
- August 19th 2010 In a Blissful State of Self-Inflicted Chaos
by Words: 1471 Photos: 32
- June 12th 2010 One more time down south (South Belize)
by Words: 1124 Photos: 6
- January 31st 2010 Beaches and Baracudda
by Words: 642 Photos: 0
- August 16th 2009 The Hokey Pokey Water Taxi to Mango Creek
by Words: 3291 Photos: 35
- July 5th 2009 A passing of the torch
by Words: 827 Photos: 36
- May 9th 2009 Placencia
by Words: 222 Photos: 0
- April 26th 2009 Open Water Scuba Certification
by Words: 874 Photos: 13
- April 21st 2009 Placencia
by Words: 893 Photos: 15
- April 5th 2009 Birthday BASH!
by Words: 961 Photos: 37
- March 20th 2009 On, In, and Under the Water!
by Words: 963 Photos: 42
- March 2nd 2009 THANK YOU!! xoxox
by Words: 484 Photos: 32
- February 28th 2009 There's No Place Like Here
by Words: 1685 Photos: 44
- February 28th 2009 placencia
by Words: 1 Photos: 4
- January 19th 2009 Rain rain go away
by Words: 141 Photos: 0
- January 18th 2009 What a shower!!
by Words: 1686 Photos: 11
- January 8th 2009 Club Canada hits the peninsula!
by Words: 980 Photos: 24
- November 8th 2008 I'm coming out of Retirement to go into Ponderment
by Words: 1151 Photos: 47