To Eat Gibnut Or Not to Eat Gibnut... That is the Question


Advertisement
Published: December 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I had seen it on Discovery Channel or Anthony Bourdain on CNN, maybe it was Food Network, not sure exactly sure where, but I was reminded when we see it displayed on one of the menus outside a restaurant in town that you can actually eat Gibnut in Belize, which is rat - no kidding. There is a lot of discussion going on about it between Ian and I, no doubt we could order it but could we actually put it in our mouths and swallow it? Could you? Should this be something on our list to do while we are here? Hmmm??

We think back to when we first tried raw oysters, scary looking and slimy, which we now love, or frogs legs, that tasted like chicken. Even artichokes with their furry center needing to be pealed, not appetizing to most, but we really love them with a little ranch dressing on the side.We think about the local delicacies here we have tried so far, conch a crustation, which was pretty good, or snook, a fish similar to octopus, or the plantain chips that Ian was sure I wouldn't like but we tried anyway and they were really good, taste similar to salted tortilla chips. We still need to try the stew chicken and stew pork which is common on most local restaurant menus.

We make the most of the rental car by going grocery shopping before we have to return it, getting the heavy stuff like beer. Our fridge has been sparse since we mostly go shopping day to day for what we will need. We can get all the basics here but not the wide variety we became accustomed to at the Super Mega in Mexico. We miss the larger selections, especially the bread. With the exception of some locally made coconut bread, we haven't really found much other breads that we like. The produce offerings are better, fresh, there's a few things we miss, like avacado. Since we don't care for the beef, that leaves us with frozen chicken or pork and fish for our main proteins. Of course we can always add Gibnut to that list if we ever work up the courage to give it a try.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



13th December 2014

Gibnut
Yes I agree it's like eating cat, it's what you associate in your mind, if someone served it to you and said it was pork or beef you might eat it and not mind it at all, but then you think of rats crawling around dumps and in sewers, the flesh might be riddled with very bad bacteria. A fisheries biologist once told me he would never eat fish, having seen what is in their flesh under a microscope, get Ian to try it, he seems to have the guts for this type of thing
13th December 2014

To eat gib it or not to eat gibnut
No no no nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
13th December 2014

To eat gib it or not to eat gibnut
No no no nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb