Background: In 1951, the Nepalese monarch ended the century-old system of rule by hereditary premiers and instituted a cabinet system of government. Reforms in 1990 established a multiparty democracy within the framework of a constitutional monarchy. A Maoist insurgency, launched in 1996, has gained traction and is threatening to bring down the regime, especially after a negotiated cease-fire between the Maoists and government forces broke down in August 2003. In 2001, the crown prince massacred ten members of the royal family, including the king and queen, and then took his own life. In October 2002, the new king dismissed the prime minister and his cabinet for "incompetence" after they dissolved the parliament and were subsequently unable to hold elections because of the ongoing insurgency. While stopping short of reestablishing parliament, the king in June 2004 reinstated the most recently elected prime minister who formed a four-party coalition government, which the king subsequently tasked with paving the way for elections to be held in spring of 2005. Citing dissatisfaction with the government's lack of progress in addressing the Maoist insurgency, the king in February 2005 dissolved the government and assumed power.
Photos from Pokhara
Blogs from Pokhara
Latest Blogs from Pokhara
- May 15th 2013 Rafting the Kaligonduki
by Words: 379 Photos: 12
- May 6th 2013 Pokhara
by Words: 1325 Photos: 0
- April 15th 2013 Kathmandhu to Pokhara
by Words: 296 Photos: 27
- April 9th 2013 Pokhara und wandern
by Words: 551 Photos: 0
- March 29th 2013 Bistari, bistari 2.0 - A second trip to Nepal - Kagbeni to Jomsom to Pokhara
by Words: 1078 Photos: 22
- March 27th 2013 Nepal
by Words: 695 Photos: 32
- March 23rd 2013 Holi Festival, Pokhara & White Water Rafting the Kali Gandaki
by Words: 3034 Photos: 54
- March 21st 2013 getting nearer
by Words: 287 Photos: 0
- March 9th 2013 Shove over Schwarzenegger!
by Words: 1191 Photos: 12
- March 5th 2013 The rest of Pokhara
by Words: 144 Photos: 14
- March 3rd 2013 Relaxing in Pokhara
by Words: 10 Photos: 12
- February 20th 2013 An Unexpected Journey
by Words: 2274 Photos: 0
- December 26th 2012 A Chilled Boxing Day, Making the Most of Our Fab Hotel in Pokhara!
by Words: 89 Photos: 0
- December 25th 2012 Christmas in Our Fab Hotel in Pokhara
by Words: 227 Photos: 0
- December 24th 2012 Christmas Eve in Pokhara & Our Fab Hotel
by Words: 203 Photos: 0
- December 3rd 2012 "Nepal! Oh Nepal!"
by Words: 1188 Photos: 0
- November 8th 2012 I think this tastes like Yak poo...
by Words: 777 Photos: 7
- October 11th 2012 Gateway to the Himalayan Heavens
by Words: 1111 Photos: 39
- October 7th 2012 Pokhara - the final instalment!
by Words: 1381 Photos: 15
- October 3rd 2012 Nepal: Pokhara and Poon Hill Trek
by Words: 309 Photos: 36