Background: The Dutch began to colonize Indonesia in the early 17th century; the islands were occupied by Japan from 1942 to 1945. Indonesia declared its independence after Japan's surrender, but it required four years of intermittent negotiations, recurring hostilities, and UN mediation before the Netherlands agreed to relinquish its colony. Indonesia is the world's largest archipelagic state. Current issues include: alleviating widespread poverty, preventing terrorism, continuing the transition to popularly-elected governments after four decades of authoritarianism, implementing reforms of the banking sector, addressing charges of cronyism and corruption, and holding the military and police accountable for human rights violations. Indonesia has been dealing with armed separatist movements in Aceh and in Papua.
Photos from Mount Bromo
Blogs from Mount Bromo
Latest Blogs from Mount Bromo
- July 13th 2013 Mt Bromo and me
by Words: 298 Photos: 0
- June 21st 2013 Being photographed more than Mount Bromo itself by locals and the magnificent Kawah Ijen, home to surely one of the toughest jobs on Earth !!
by Words: 2099 Photos: 61
- May 9th 2013 Next up, climbing a volcano...
by Words: 1566 Photos: 58
- January 15th 2013 Sunrise and Climbing (Volcanic) Mount Bromo
by Words: 597 Photos: 28
- September 27th 2012 Vulkan tur
by Words: 247 Photos: 9
- July 28th 2012 bromo
by Words: 19 Photos: 7
- July 20th 2012 Nachtelijke vulkaanspeurtocht
by Words: 533 Photos: 15
- June 29th 2012 Probolinggo
by Words: 843 Photos: 65
- April 27th 2012 Indonesia: "Taxi miss?"
by Words: 724 Photos: 0
- October 11th 2011 Volcano climb
by Words: 759 Photos: 4
- July 16th 2011 Seloliman Nature Reserve and Mount Bromo
by Words: 1121 Photos: 20
- July 11th 2011 Beware of ITM
by Words: 2626 Photos: 9
- July 11th 2011 July 10- 11 Mt. Bromo
by Words: 430 Photos: 0
- June 30th 2011 Breathtaking Bromo
by Words: 473 Photos: 43
- February 20th 2011 Bromo (yeah,again!) - in ERUPTION, yay!
by Words: 859 Photos: 16
- February 4th 2011 To Brutal Bromo and Back
by Words: 810 Photos: 5
- September 21st 2010 Day 74-75 Yogyakarta to Cemorolawang
by Words: 895 Photos: 5
- June 11th 2010 Van luxe naar primitief in anderhalve week en 2500 Kilometer.
by Words: 1516 Photos: 23
- March 22nd 2010 Surakarta and Gunug Bromo
by Words: 1289 Photos: 38
- March 10th 2010 Bromo mountain - fogging sunrise
by Words: 632 Photos: 7