Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Photos from Punjab
Blogs from Punjab
Latest Blogs from Punjab
- May 19th 2013 Derniere etape, l'Inde!
by Words: 3165 Photos: 15
- May 13th 2013 I'm published!
by Words: 183 Photos: 1
- March 21st 2013 India 9 - 'An Indian Swansong'
by Words: 1856 Photos: 30
- March 15th 2013 A City of Silly Walks and Sikhs
by Words: 2770 Photos: 63
- February 8th 2013 India 2013
by Words: 523 Photos: 0
- January 4th 2013 Beautiful Amritsar
by Words: 409 Photos: 0
- December 26th 2012 India Wedding
by Words: 3524 Photos: 63
- December 5th 2012 Border War: Pakistan Versus India
by Words: 261 Photos: 9
- December 4th 2012 Punjab: I Don't Think We Are in India Anymore!
by Words: 192 Photos: 8
- November 28th 2012 Chandigarh to Delhi: Rubbish Relocated and the Confusing Internal World of the Town Planner
by Words: 1135 Photos: 11
- November 14th 2012 From Delhi to Amritsar: Border Bedlam, A Punjabi Party and Supper with Saints
by Words: 1441 Photos: 18
- October 3rd 2012 Gaping at the Golden Temple and losing our sanity in sleeper, or was it when we were buying the ticket?
by Words: 4472 Photos: 63
- August 19th 2012 Onwards to India
by Words: 79 Photos: 2
- August 13th 2012 India part 2: Jodphur, Jaisalmer & Amristar
by Words: 3003 Photos: 25
- July 27th 2012 First impressions
by Words: 1111 Photos: 0
- July 18th 2012 Days 16-17
by Words: 1067 Photos: 18
- July 17th 2012 Amritsar, Delhi, Agra
by Words: 1426 Photos: 0
- April 29th 2012 Chandigarh - the cosmo city
by Words: 224 Photos: 0
- April 9th 2012 Chandigarh, Punjab Haryana, India
by Words: 955 Photos: 30
- March 9th 2012 The Golden Temple to the Dalai Lama's Temple
by Words: 994 Photos: 19