Amazing Amritsar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab » Amritsar
September 18th 2018
Published: September 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

This is a fab place with buzz and atmosphere and our visit much helped by staying in a proper hotel with hot water, lifts and a very comfy bed!

The drive was interesting through the mountains and descending into the Punjab. The evening visit was to the Golden Temple after dinner. Thousands of people - mainly Sikhs - thronging into the temple. Stunning with lights shining on the gold. Walking round the tank and temple was mesmerising as the chants are on loudspeaker. That evening people were marching round with a flag and chanting. Hundreds of people were queuing up to go inside. Outside the temple shops and hawkers as expected mainly selling Pakistani shoes, temple bangles and kulfi (yummy).

The next morning we had a visit to Jallianwallah Bagh - the site of a massacre of peace protesters by the British army. Surprised we weren't lynched.

This was a hectic day as we then drove an hour to the border with Pakistan for the Beating the Retreat ceremony which has been performed daily for 59 years. Thousands of people and so like going to a concert by someone like Michael Jacksonor Queen in Wembley Stadium! It was fantastic!!! Loud music, a soldier whipping up the crowd, enormous flag passed around the stadium, singing and dancing. Wonderful! The Pakistan side was more subdued with many fewer in their audience but they still has flags and drums. The soldiers on each side matched each other’s movements with very high kicks like the splits but standing up.

Quick dinner in the lovely hotel then off to the station for the overnight train to Haridwar which was as smelly, crowded and noisy as expected.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

One of many photos we got dragged intoOne of many photos we got dragged into
One of many photos we got dragged into

No idea why people want their children photographed with foreigners! We had lots of requests.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb