Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Photos from Gokarna
Blogs from Gokarna
Latest Blogs from Gokarna
- March 10th 2013 An Odyssey to 'Paradise'
by Words: 1468 Photos: 13
- February 9th 2013 Gokarna: Holy cow!
by Words: 1773 Photos: 27
- April 15th 2012 Gokarna
by Words: 487 Photos: 0
- March 10th 2012 Gokarna, ou Go-Kharma ?
by Words: 606 Photos: 18
- February 20th 2012 Living it up in the slum
by Words: 1703 Photos: 32
- December 25th 2011 Misadventuresome!
by Words: 1879 Photos: 10
- December 4th 2011 On being a parasite magnet, but also a magnet for wonderful people
by Words: 1097 Photos: 0
- May 11th 2011 Gokarna
by Words: 1996 Photos: 157
- April 19th 2011 Gokarna – oh I do like to be beside the seaside – with Nezzi and Khaliq. By Zoe
by Words: 336 Photos: 11
- February 11th 2011 Om Beach, Gokarna - paradise in so many ways...
by Words: 421 Photos: 7
- February 3rd 2011 Firts Words
by Words: 1206 Photos: 0
- January 31st 2011 4-Om namah Shivaya
by Words: 1315 Photos: 22
- January 27th 2011 simen skriver fra om beach i gokarna
by Words: 1043 Photos: 0
- January 7th 2011 Ill
by Words: 901 Photos: 0
- January 6th 2011 A Very Sad Dog
by Words: 661 Photos: 0
- April 14th 2010 Om Beach
by Words: 721 Photos: 8
- April 7th 2010 a backpacker playground
by Words: 543 Photos: 7
- April 6th 2010 Gokarna, India
by Words: 6 Photos: 30
- April 3rd 2010 Gokarna Om Beach
by Words: 180 Photos: 33
- April 3rd 2010 Gokarna vs. Benaulim
by Words: 739 Photos: 0