Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Kunming
Blogs from Kunming
Latest Blogs from Kunming
- October 25th 2013 Exploring Kunming: Stone Forest and Western Hills
by Words: 384 Photos: 3
- October 24th 2013 A long flight, a short sleep, and an incredible first day
by Words: 446 Photos: 15
- October 11th 2013 Kunming (8-12 Oct 13)
by Words: 486 Photos: 16
- October 6th 2013 TuanJieZhen
by Words: 189 Photos: 30
- August 1st 2013 Let's do this thing: Onset of the travels take 2...it really happened this time
by Words: 539 Photos: 0
- July 10th 2013 Hey All!
by Words: 326 Photos: 6
- July 6th 2013 Getting settled and setting up
by Words: 484 Photos: 0
- July 6th 2013 Yahoo Messenger
by Words: 26 Photos: 0
- May 16th 2013 China - Granda Dragao Vermelho ( ou cor-de-rosa?)
by Words: 206 Photos: 5
- May 9th 2013 Skyscrapers, huge shopping malls, expensive shops, flashing neon lights... welcome to China???
by Words: 1253 Photos: 36
- February 23rd 2013 Kunming
by Words: 1238 Photos: 8
- February 22nd 2013 Air pollution or Weather problem??
by Words: 105 Photos: 4
- February 9th 2013 Chinese New Year in China
by Words: 885 Photos: 8
- January 17th 2013 Blog 16: vom Südchinesischen Meer bis an den Rand des Himalayas
by Words: 2071 Photos: 0
- January 16th 2013 Traffic, Stone Forrests and not feeling well in Kunming.
by Words: 1956 Photos: 28
- December 22nd 2012 So I wasn't Detained - ie Avery's kind of naive
by Words: 397 Photos: 0
- November 10th 2012 And the moral of the story is . . .
by Words: 1113 Photos: 17
- October 26th 2012 China Yunnan Province Summary and Last Day in Kunming
by Words: 1359 Photos: 2
- October 25th 2012 Kunming City Report
by Words: 344 Photos: 2
- October 10th 2012 Kunming
by Words: 749 Photos: 0