Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Blogs from TEDA
Latest Blogs from TEDA
- March 6th 2014 Cat In The Hat!!!
by Words: 511 Photos: 21
- March 3rd 2014 The Turtle Man!!!
by Words: 130 Photos: 10
- March 1st 2014 shoes, shoes and more shoes!!!!
by Words: 149 Photos: 15
- February 27th 2014 A Proud mummy!!!
by Words: 256 Photos: 23
- February 25th 2014 William makes more friends!!!
by Words: 159 Photos: 14
- February 24th 2014 A few interesting finds!!
by Words: 385 Photos: 5
- February 19th 2014 It is going to be one of thoes weeks!!!
by Words: 206 Photos: 0
- February 19th 2014 I made it!!!
by Words: 184 Photos: 11
- February 17th 2014 What a start to the week!
by Words: 587 Photos: 0
- February 15th 2014 Wow......What a week!
by Words: 807 Photos: 18
- February 15th 2014 Chinese New Year
by Words: 13 Photos: 8
- February 7th 2014 We made it!!!!
by Words: 478 Photos: 4
- September 12th 2012 Little Fish in a Big Chinese Pond
by Words: 1244 Photos: 5
- July 6th 2010 South Korea to China by ferry
by Words: 325 Photos: 11
- December 19th 2009 This could be the start of a beautiful blog.
by Words: 63 Photos: 0
- December 19th 2009 TEDA
by Words: 1305 Photos: 6
- July 31st 2009 17 days
by Words: 588 Photos: 29
- June 29th 2009 Vietnam baby!
by Words: 668 Photos: 3
- April 28th 2009 Scraping the sky and our lungs.
by Words: 867 Photos: 1
- January 17th 2009 And life goes on...
by Words: 708 Photos: 7