Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Blogs from TEDA
Latest Blogs from TEDA
- September 12th 2012 Little Fish in a Big Chinese Pond
by Words: 1244 Photos: 5
- July 6th 2010 South Korea to China by ferry
by Words: 325 Photos: 11
- December 19th 2009 This could be the start of a beautiful blog.
by Words: 63 Photos: 0
- December 19th 2009 TEDA
by Words: 1305 Photos: 6
- July 31st 2009 17 days
by Words: 588 Photos: 29
- June 29th 2009 Vietnam baby!
by Words: 668 Photos: 3
- April 28th 2009 Scraping the sky and our lungs.
by Words: 867 Photos: 1
- January 17th 2009 And life goes on...
by Words: 708 Photos: 7
- November 3rd 2007 October Adventures - A mishmash of stories.
by Words: 1615 Photos: 11
- September 30th 2007 Mid-Autumn Day Tea Party
by Words: 768 Photos: 4
- September 17th 2007 My First Chinese Wedding
by Words: 1271 Photos: 9
- September 13th 2007 "Relax" yells my masseuse, strangely I tense up!
by Words: 1486 Photos: 13
- September 2nd 2007 Flares, Shouting, War Drums...Just another Soccer match
by Words: 1964 Photos: 11
- August 20th 2007 Getting Settled into New Routines - The Apartment
by Words: 1175 Photos: 4
- August 6th 2007 First Days in TEDA
by Words: 1289 Photos: 4