Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Wutaishan
Blogs from Wutaishan
Latest Blogs from Wutaishan
- June 4th 2013 Feeling slightly enlightened - sacred Wutai Shan, sea of monks, Hanging Monastery... ummmm!
by Words: 2035 Photos: 78
- October 7th 2009 Wutaishan 五台山
by Words: 334 Photos: 27
- September 18th 2008 Thats the Wonder, the wonder or Wutai
by Words: 604 Photos: 4
- June 29th 2008 Wu Tai Shan: A pilgrim, a fight and mist...
by Words: 2892 Photos: 20
- June 13th 2008 Greetings on a Chinese Street
by Words: 252 Photos: 2
- July 29th 2007 Shanxi, Hanging Monastery, Jinci Temple & Wutai Shan
by Words: 528 Photos: 10
- November 5th 2006 Pueblo budista de Wutai Shan / Wutai Shan budist temple
by Words: 103 Photos: 2
- October 12th 2006 Wutaishan - Praktische Informatie
by Words: 514 Photos: 0
- October 11th 2006 Een dagje Wutaishan en verder door naar Pingyao.
by Words: 1299 Photos: 11