Background: Britain conquered Burma over a period of 62 years (1824-1886) and incorporated it into its Indian Empire. Burma was administered as a province of India until 1937 when it became a separate, self-governing colony; independence from the Commonwealth was attained in 1948. Gen. NE WIN dominated the government from 1962 to 1988, first as military ruler, then as self-appointed president, and later as political kingpin. Despite multiparty legislative elections in 1990 that resulted in the main opposition party - the National League for Democracy (NLD) - winning a landslide victory, the ruling junta refused to hand over power. NLD leader and Nobel Peace Prize recipient AUNG SAN SUU KYI, who was under house arrest from 1989 to 1995 and 2000 to 2002, was imprisoned in May 2003 and is currently under house arrest. In December 2004, the junta announced it was extending her detention for at least an additional year. Her supporters, as well as all those who promote democracy and improved human rights, are routinely harassed or jailed.
Photos from Bago
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Bago
Latest Blogs from Bago
- January 13th 2014 Snakes Alive!
by Words: 1290 Photos: 0
- February 11th 2013 Bago: Never Ending Buddhas
by Words: 803 Photos: 38
- July 31st 2012 A dip into Bago
by Words: 2301 Photos: 43
- July 2nd 2012 Taungoo (1-2 Jul 12)
by Words: 316 Photos: 8
- June 30th 2012 Bago (30 Jun - 1 Jul 12)
by Words: 203 Photos: 0
- February 16th 2012 A sad case of 'too much'
by Words: 1663 Photos: 10
- January 27th 2012 Bago (or Pegu)
by Words: 255 Photos: 7
- June 11th 2011 Bago
by Words: 287 Photos: 4
- December 16th 2010 Bago + Kinpun
by Words: 394 Photos: 10
- November 5th 2010 the roads maybe rough but the rocks are paved with gold
by Words: 238 Photos: 12
- March 31st 2010 A badly reconstructed palace and a really big snake in Bago
by Words: 1046 Photos: 12
- February 23rd 2009 Losing our way northbound
by Words: 783 Photos: 3
- February 19th 2009 Bago Motorcycles and Me
by Words: 902 Photos: 13
- January 30th 2009 Bago; the Golden Rock; the biggest Buddha in the country and the Worst bus journey of our lives
by Words: 1722 Photos: 39
- December 21st 2008 A city built on belief (Bago, Southern Myanmar)
by Words: 548 Photos: 3
- November 21st 2008 BAGO...
by Words: 1347 Photos: 20
- October 31st 2008 Around Bago on a motorbike... thanks Derrick & Jillene!
by Words: 270 Photos: 0
- September 14th 2007 Perdidos en Birmania (Rangun y Bago)
by Words: 1623 Photos: 13
- June 25th 2007 Bago: The Golden Land
by Words: 1171 Photos: 21
- March 11th 2007 We've moved the capital city, if you need us, send a fax & we'll get back to you when we have a spare moment.....
by Words: 2609 Photos: 52