Bago (or Pegu)


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region » Bago
January 27th 2012
Published: April 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left Bagan and had a very long day of driving to Bago.

We started the trip off by stopping to see a family who had a palm farm. Every day they collect palm sugar from the trees in clay pots. They would have to climb up about 100 trees per day, collect pots from the day before and hang new pots up. They would make sweets and wine from the palm sugar as well as palm oil from the leaves.

The rest of the drive was uneventful.

We arrived into Bago late at night and stayed at the Mya Nanda Hotel ($20/double). Bago is super busy and noisy. I think its a hub for truck drivers.

The restaurant we went to served a variety of goats testicles which we decided not to try.

The next morning we were up and off by 7am. We did this because apparently if you visit Bago's sites before 9am you don't have to pay the $10 dollar fee. I am very glad we did this because, to be honest, the sties were not that great.

We wandered the Bago market and went for another milk tea.

Chan took us to the snake monastery where a 118 year old Burmese Python lives. They believe a monk was reincarnated to this snake. Its supposedly the largest and oldest snake alive: 17 feet long!

Chan was telling us that last year in Northern Myanmar htey were doing some construction and, by accident, killed a 45 foot long Burmese python that was hibernating 5 feet underground...


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb