Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station
Background: Speculation over the existence of a "southern land" was not confirmed until the early 1820s when British and American commercial operators and British and Russian national expeditions began exploring the Antarctic Peninsula region and other areas south of the Antarctic Circle. Not until 1840 was it established that Antarctica was indeed a continent and not just a group of islands. Several exploration "firsts" were achieved in the early 20th century. Following World War II, there was an upsurge in scientific research on the continent. A number of countries have set up year-round research stations on Antarctica. Seven have made territorial claims, but not all countries recognize these claims. In order to form a legal framework for the activities of nations on the continent, an Antarctic Treaty was negotiated that neither denies nor gives recognition to existing territorial claims; signed in 1959, it entered into force in 1961.
Photos from Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station
Latest Blogs from Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station
- August 25th 2013 Teheran ZTL
by Words: 253 Photos: 0
- May 30th 2012 Rihla 30
by Words: 111 Photos: 0
- November 18th 2011 Day off
by Words: 705 Photos: 0
- May 23rd 2011 Operator error
by Words: 23 Photos: 0
- May 23rd 2011 We're back....!
by Words: 365 Photos: 2
- May 22nd 2011 Easy like Sunday mornong
by Words: 753 Photos: 4
- May 19th 2011 Last call for passengers Clark and Clark travelling to lima, peru
by Words: 401 Photos: 0
- August 25th 2010 Being blond only gets you so far...
by Words: 420 Photos: 0
- August 24th 2010 Tweet Tweet... please.
by Words: 8 Photos: 0
- August 24th 2010 This is the second tweet test.
by Words: 4 Photos: 0
- August 24th 2010 Testing twittters stuff..
by Words: 15 Photos: 0
- August 24th 2010 work twitter work
by Words: 726 Photos: 1
- August 9th 2010 fgdfg
by Words: 1 Photos: 0
- November 17th 2009 take the initiative law
by Words: 224 Photos: 0
- August 22nd 2009 oute boudas oute koudas
by Words: 394 Photos: 0
- February 10th 2009 3 More poems
by Words: 225 Photos: 0
- February 9th 2009 Leaving the South Pole
by Words: 240 Photos: 11
- January 3rd 2009 Time Stands Still
by Words: 332 Photos: 9
- December 10th 2008 Essay "Loss of Contact"
by Words: 1584 Photos: 0
- July 20th 2008 last night
by Words: 94 Photos: 1